Advertisements
Advertisements
Going into the Home Study process, I knew any felonies on a potential adoptive parent's criminal record was a big no-no. Hubby has a misdemeanor from 6 years ago that is apparently on our state's "lifetime barring" list in their Administrative Code. Nowhere was I able to read about this prior to starting the home study process. Never in a million years would I have imagined we weren't qualified to adopt in our state bc of this.
We're already contracted with an adoption facilitation company. We started this process at the same time as our Home Study bc I didn't foresee any issues arising.
I was told, "Well, you can always move."
Wondering if anyone has ever actually moved to a different state to side step a law your state had in order to pass a Home study?
Just really looking for support. There is nothing we can do about this. It's beyond me that it is so black and white and individual cases are not heard and then ruled on. We are GOOD FAMILY people and, again, I NEVER imagined this would turn out like this?!
This sounds frustrating to say the least. Being told, "No" is never easy when your intentions and what you can provide others is so GOOD. Is there any type of appeal process at all, or is "no" just plainly "no"?
I don't have any BTDT, but whatever you have to do, I hope you're able to grow your family like you desire.
-Spud:Chewie:
Advertisements
I've asked one attorney about requesting a hearing for our case to be heard on an individual basis, but he said if it's in a state statute, there's nothing a judge can do to overturn it. I've spoken with another attorney who specializes in adoption. I've given him the specific administrative rule number and he was going to look into it. That was about two weeks ago and several messages to him have not been returned. So, still in the research phase, but, as best as I can tell, just a concrete "no" is what we're faced with.
There aren't a whole lot of criminal history things that will bar you forever from passing a homestudy. In general, the things that will are any sexual offense, domestic violence, or violence to/ endangerment of a child. Any of these would be a "no" regardless of whether they are felony or misdemeanor. If something falls into one of these categories, moving to a different state will not help, because that seems to be pretty consistent between states.
I agree with Allwhohope. They did background checks for us for 2 states because we're military and had recently moved. I don't think moving would benefit you
Advertisements