Advertisements
Advertisements
We have put in our inquiry on a sibling group of girls (ages 8 and 6) and got told that our home study has been sent to their case worker for review. Since then we have done what I know we shouldn't have...we've become seriously enamored at the thought of having these two girls in our homes, family, hearts. I've been on edge since making the inquiry; can't sleep, eating emotionally, and cleaning like mad. This waiting to hear something (anything!) from DHR is making me bonkers.
I know that it's a long process and I just have to deal with the wait, but it's really getting to me. Do any of you have any ideas on how to make this waiting period less agonizingly stressful? How have you guys coped while waiting to make a match? Also, is/ was your social worker very interested in trying to help you get a placement or make a match or did you have to basically pull teeth to find out any information?
I've wanted to adopt for a long time, it just took a while for my husband to come around to the idea...so I feel like I've been waiting forever to start a family. Now that he's as excited as I am, we're just being worrywarts that we'll never get matched...and we won't match with these two little girls that we believe will be a great addition to our family. Sigh.
Advertisements
Congratulations on taking a huge step forward in growing your family!
I think many CWs are different, but I'm hoping that they get back to you asap! As slow as CWs are in foster situations, from what I've heard they seem to be much more eager to get adoption-ready children placed into homes quickly, so I'm hoping you hear soon. As far as now, it sounds like you're "nesting" with the house cleaning etc. My advice would be to have a night out with your husband. Go to a movie, etc. to try to take your mind off waiting. Novels always help me "escape" to a different place too. It might help you transfer your thoughts for a moment.
Keep us updated!
The Kelleys! Please update us when you can about your situation ... did things work out with the two girls? Do you have other children? How did it all play out? What advice do you have for others who are playing the "waiting game" with getting children into their homes? Thanks, and best wishes!
My husband and I put in for a sibling group last week too! It is during the holidays so our CW and theirs are both on vacation... This is so hard! I thought the classes, all the paperwork, the visits, homestudy, or even the wait for the license was hard, but this is. I have 5 more days until their worker comes back from vacation to see our CW's emails. I would love to know how it went for you guys!
: : I know it's hard to wait! Imagine being in the matching phase for a year! Most challenging thing I've ever done in my entire life, yet I just kept reminding myself this is one year of the very challenging and sometimes very frustrating matching phase but an entire lifetime with the right child for you. Now that I have my child, I would do it all over again. Hang in there. Keep looking and submitting on other children as well because if you aren't chosen for this sibling set it will be the one that is right for your family in the right time. I used that waiting time to take more parenting classes, join support groups, read parenting and adoption books, and learn more about children with trauma and special needs ... in addition to buying generic child things like kid friendly dishes and silverware. I also took "adoption breaks" to just enjoy the moment doing fun things with friends and family because it can get mentally & emotionally draining some times doing this. Plus I kept thinking ... this is challenging but then again so is parenting!! lol. : :
Advertisements