Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi All. I've been going through the forums for awhile and decided to finally sign up. My wife and I have been talking about adoption off and on since we first started dating almost 13 years ago, and are preparing to jump into the process. We're scared, nervous, and super excited, which seems to be the norm.
In looking at the options about an agency or county adoption there seems to be a lot of people that have negative experience with the SB county, which doesn't surprise me given our financial issues. I've been looking at using Kinship instead since it would get us access to other counties, but I haven't seen too many threads with people's experience with them.
We are looking for a child or sibling group between 5 and 10, preferably a girl(s). Of course we want our perfect, non-damaged little girl, but we know the realities here. Most of our families live in Riverside so they aren't too far away and are a great support system. We both work but at least my job allows for some flexibility in my schedule.
We started talking today about what needs to be done with our house to make it child ready. I'd love to hear from some of you about the odd things you never thought of before hand that might have needed to be changed to accommodate children.
I put in the formal information request with Kinship before Christmas and one of their care workers contacted me just after Christmas. She seemed rather surprised to be talking to me versus my wife (she was at work). From what I've read, as well as assumed, this isn't uncommon. I know there was an old thread on this in the Adoptive Father's section. Gotta say I find the whole psychology/sociology/culture of this process extremely fascinating, but I am a nerd in that way. :)
After the initial surprise she was very helpful. She just wanted some general information outside of what was in the information request form and to confirm what I entered in it. She said she was going to send out the full info packet that day with dates listing January info sessions and classes.
After we got off the phone there was a feeling of elation. After so many years of talking about it we are finally starting the process. Well, at least the baby steps part at this point. There was just something about it though that makes it feel like it is actually happening though.
Advertisements