Advertisements
Advertisements
I am not surprised with how little action there is on the international thread. It seems like no one is adopting internationally any more. I know there the US has put additional requirements on international adoptions. It is a bit disheartening. We are part of a large group of foster and adopting parents. A couple years ago people were bringing babies home from international adoptions every couple months. Now nothing. Has any one else noticed this?
Of course I have noticed. There are several reasons:
1. There has been a general decline in international adoptions. See e.g. [url=http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/world/international-adoption-main-story-decline/]The decline of international adoption - CNN.com[/url]
The Hague (over)regulations are part of the issue. It has become much harder to adopt, more restrictions on parents, less kids available.
2. Hague stipulates that the young and healthy kids must be placed domestically. (Orphanages are apparently now crowding up because the locals don't readily adopt those kids but that's another matter). Due to the Hague stipulation, international adoption is now almost exclusively older and/or special needs kids. Not everybody is equipped to handle this.
3. The Great Recession of 2009 has changed the adoption world quite a bit, too. Private domestic adoption has become waaay more risky than it used to be, with average birthmother expenses almost doubling and placement rates going down :arrow:
All the above has lead to an increase in interest in foster care adoptions. If you go to our Foster Care and Adoption Forum, you will see that it is alive and well, and very active :)
Advertisements
I have noticed too and keep checking to see if anyone else is on - but very few and far between. For me, I haven't posed as much because all I seem to be doing is waiting and having thoughts circling round and round and round in my head since there isn't much else I can do at the moment. I didn't think anyone would want to hear about my ongoing worries that make no sense!! :arrow:
Our adoption was complete in Nigeria ages ago and then we sent our application for citizenship in (Canada) and then it just sat still for over a year. Now we have been given 60 days to provide 2 more documents and they will make a decision. We sent the documents in last week - the deadline is actually the 30th. and today I noticed that our file is no longer showing on their website where I can check progress. Not sure what that means, but our immigration consultation did say we should hear by the 2nd. Maybe it is good news, since this has been a 5 year process.
I think that lack of posting really has alot to do with the hurry up and wait game
spunkyone
I have noticed too and keep checking to see if anyone else is on - but very few and far between. For me, I haven't posed as much because all I seem to be doing is waiting and having thoughts circling round and round and round in my head since there isn't much else I can do at the moment. I didn't think anyone would want to hear about my ongoing worries that make no sense!! :arrow:
Our adoption was complete in Nigeria ages ago and then we sent our application for citizenship in (Canada) and then it just sat still for over a year. Now we have been given 60 days to provide 2 more documents and they will make a decision. We sent the documents in last week - the deadline is actually the 30th. and today I noticed that our file is no longer showing on their website where I can check progress. Not sure what that means, but our immigration consultation did say we should hear by the 2nd. Maybe it is good news, since this has been a 5 year process.
I think that lack of posting really has alot to do with the hurry up and wait game
Wow--5 years is a long time. I hope the wait is over soon.
Thanks - us too! I really tried to give up hoping and just kept thinking she is our daughter and she will be here eventually. Now though the excitement and hope are starting to build again. If they say no, then we will be filing appeals and going to court. But I have faith that they won't say no. (but I usually hope for the best and prepare for the worst)
I also came to this site and wondered why no one was posting about their international adoptions. We began the process a year ago and we are in the waiting period of a Peruvian adoption and came here to find other experiences or stories and seems like nothing for years. I got a little worried about why and you now answered that. I guess we didn't think of the ease of a domestic adoption over an international one. Either way I hope ours doesn't prove to be too much of a wait:peru:
Advertisements