Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi my bf and I were just approved for foster and foster to adopt here in TX. We have been approved for up to 4 kids. I did private adoption 12 years ago a of boy 21 months now 14. BF has no children.
We would love 2 babies 2 girls or boy and girl and then 2 boys age 3 - 8.
We just received a call to see if we would take an emergency placement of 4 yr old boy. Of course said yes - waiting to hear.
Questions - I understand that all children will not be adoptable and I am willing to take that risk. I heard that never turning down an emergency placement will help to up your chances for more placements in the future - is this true?
Would love to hear from others in Texas to see if they were successful in adopting infants and how long they waited. We are not young - lol (me -48 bf 39) So I am hoping it won't take forever.
Do you stay on your rep from agency to check in and see whats out there? I just feel so hopeless and thought we would get kids pretty fast. (a friend of ours here got kids 3 days after approval)
That is it for now. Glad to here!
Waiting in Houston for some miracles!
Welcome! You're right it does help to say yes to emergency placements, as long as they fit your criteria. Even if they don't come to you, they know you are interested and open.
How long have you been licensed? Are you with a private agency?
I was licensed for one month before my first placement. I had a couple of other calls but they didn't end up coming to me.
I have had three placements, all of them emergency placements.
The first was a two day old baby girl that went straight to adoption (adopted at 15 months).
The second placement was only with us for two months (she was awesome, wish she could have stayed longer), but went to extended family and is doing great there.
My third, and current, placement is my adopted daughter's brother. When he was brought into care CPS called my agency to see if I was interested as I had already adopted his sibling - of course I said YES! His adoption should be finalized later his year.
So of my three emergency placements, two have gone to adoption (the other one would have gone to adoption if the family member that took her couldn't as all other family had already been ruled out).
Are you open to sibling groups too? That can help. I know that there are sibling groups that get brought into care, or they need a home where they can keep them altogether. However, in the past three years I have only been called about one group, but I couldn't take all of them at that time and they found a home that could take them all, or I would have taken one of them until they found that home that could take all of the together.
Advertisements
Thanks for responding. We are open to sibling groups so hopefully that will help. We have only been licensed 3 weeks. We are with an agency here in Houston.
People say I am crazy wanting a baby but I adopted my son privately at 21 months and missed that part. He also had so many issues already at that young age that I know in m heart if I would have had him as an infant he would not have now.
We are really excited and know this will not be a cake walk and that our hearts will get broken along the way but any child we touch with our love will hopefully remember us and take some of hat with them.
Thanks again.