Advertisements
Advertisements
our new daughter has been with us for 2 weeks and is 10 going on 11. She is a good kid but has zero ability to entertain herself.
She won't play with her dolls or play outside without someone else to play with. She likes to read but when we suggest reading a book she says no. She just sits in the same room where we are reading, watching tv, cooking, whatever, and looks bored and pathetic. Part of it is anxiety in that she seems to need to be in the same room with us all the time.
The only time she is content to entertain herself is playing games on the computer and we can't let her do that all day long (or she would!). Any suggestions? I'm a mom, not an entertainment director!
Advertisements
I remember this time well. And I wish I could go back and do things a bit differently. It drove me crazy, at the time. As much as you can try including her in what you are doing by having her make a real contribution - not busy work. A lot of kids like to help cook, for instance.
Things got a bunch better around here when I had my son measuring, mixing, hammering, re-wiring, painting, and helping me do all sorts of things. It was good for bonding, kept us in the same room without driving me nuts, and helped build up his skills. It, eventually, morphed into him deciding to bake cookies, build a tree house, paint (repaint!) his bedroom, and so on.
Now he can cook a pretty tasty, balanced, meal and is better at fixing things than I am. His carpentry still needs some work!
I realize you can't do it all the time but see if "helping" isn't something that works for you both. And when you can't spend time together maybe something like books on tape would help.
I know how frustrating it is but, in retrospect, I wish I had enjoyed and encouraged it more and let it bother me less. It was what he needed to do and I wish I had embraced it.
But it can make you a bit crazy ...
ah yes.. btdt. and i agree with pp.
i spent so much time feeling trapped, fighting the request to play with stupid polly pockets, and shutting down
fast forward 5 years.. my awesome dd CAN self entertain - she spends too much time locked in her room. (ah.. tweens ;) )
i wish i could go back in time and redirect her to cook, clean, color
I totally get how frustrating it can to have someone constantly underfoot. but that time will be over before you know it. hang in there