Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I need some information about adoptions in Japan.
My daughter in law was adopted in 1983 in Misawa Japan as a baby. She is no longer on speaking terms with her adopted family, they refused to hand over any adoption paperwork. I am trying to help her find her parents or any relatives.
Can foreigners adopt directly from orphanages?
Can Foreigners adopt directly from the mother?
I was told that adoptions might only be done through and agency?
Is it possible that INS would have a copy of her Japanese birth certificate in her records?
If anyone has any insight into this process please please reply. I have been working on this a long time.
I have taken many wrong turns in my search from ignorance of how things work.
Thanks Alan
A translator I hired to help me was able to get ISSJ respond to my email. They said they did not have any record on either the mothers name or the daughter in laws name on file. They asked for the adopting parents name but its late now maybe tomorrow.
The orphanage said they only respond to official government requests, not private ones.
Just an update, but does not answer my questions.
Lots of views, no replies, please someone out there has done this and knows. This will keep me from the school of hard knocks. I have been working on this almost 2 years now.
Thanks Alan
Advertisements
A translator I hired to help me was able to get ISSJ respond to my email. They said they did not have any record on either the mothers name or the daughter in laws name on file. They asked for the adopting parents name but its late now maybe tomorrow.
The orphanage said they only respond to official government requests, not private ones.
Just an update, but does not answer my questions.
Lots of views, no replies, please someone out there has done this and knows. This will keep me from the school of hard knocks. I have been working on this almost 2 years now.
Thanks Alan
I have found the mother. Seems once you discover the correct spelling of the name "no thanks to the adopted parents" you will have a better chance to find the biological parent. Took me 10 seconds on Google to find the mother.
Oh, the mother left Japan a long time ago and is living 6 hours from us, this is crazy and you just can't make this up.
Well after about six months looks like this is NOT solved. This lady I found connected with my wife and cousin on FB but not my daughter in law. She told me this was a personal matter and I should not be involved. Then said latter she did not have any children.
So I don't know what to think of her.
A few months ago the daughter in law took a DNA test and found a few 4th cousins and a possible 3rd cousin in Tokyo.
The 3rd cousin said her mother was from Aomori City but did not know any Toki family link. So close!
The next thing is she requested a copy of her Koseki from US immigrations, waited 9 months now and got her Congressman involved just before Christmas. Hopefully this comes though in the next month of so.
I hope to repost Solved in 2016.