Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone, I have been waiting for my daughter to come home from Guatemala for over 7 years now. I received a notice that she has been awarded to the foster parents because she has formed a bond with them. I contacted my US Senator and their office said that there isn't anything they can do to reverse the decision. I wasn't contacted that there was going to be a hearing, just a letter saying it was done and I had so many days to respond in writing, which didn't get there in time. I have paid these foster parents thousands of dollars to care for her because I was told it was in her best interest not to be in an orphanage. My attorney in Guatemala was crooked too. My file had been waiting for final signature for over 2 years and then this. I am heartbroken and broke. I would love to have your input if you know of anyone that could help me. I don't think the courts there even knew of all the years I have paid this family.
Advertisements
Cavaliers
Hi everyone, I have been waiting for my daughter to come home from Guatemala for over 7 years now. I received a notice that she has been awarded to the foster parents because she has formed a bond with them. I contacted my US Senator and their office said that there isn't anything they can do to reverse the decision. I wasn't contacted that there was going to be a hearing, just a letter saying it was done and I had so many days to respond in writing, which didn't get there in time. I have paid these foster parents thousands of dollars to care for her because I was told it was in her best interest not to be in an orphanage. My attorney in Guatemala was crooked too. My file had been waiting for final signature for over 2 years and then this. I am heartbroken and broke. I would love to have your input if you know of anyone that could help me. I don't think the courts there even knew of all the years I have paid this family.
I think this kid being in the same foster home for 7 years. Would be heart broken and may never heal. If she has to move from the only parents she knows. I don't know why you would have to wait so long in the first place. This is heart breaking for you, I cant imagine. I doubt you will get your money back, unless you can sue the attorney . I wouldn't be surprised if he's been pocketing the money.
Very frankly, it is consistent with the Hague Convention to consider all possible options for keeping a child in his/her birth country, before placing him/her internationally. And it is often in the best interests of a child, even in the U.S., to remain with a long-term foster family, rather than being moved to the home of strangers, when an adoption decision is made.
I really don't think that you will be able to fight the decision, as long as the foster family can continue to care for the child, without your financial support. Now, if the courts did not know that you have been supporting the child for seven years, and did not know that the foster parents were able to take care of the child ONLY because of this addition to their income, that would be another story. You might want to talk to an American adoption attorney, who can tell you if appealing on those grounds stands any chance at all.
Sharon
I agree partly with Sharon, but I also would speak with the Guatemala Counselors Office, or the Federal Bureau of Investigations as well also....