Advertisements
Advertisements
I am hoping to get some help and advice on how to help kids understand and prepare for the death of a parent. We have been in remission for 5 + years and we just found out that husbands cancer is back. Surgery and treatment is not a option at this point. Oncologist said 6 months or less. Any advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Please keep us in your prayers during this difficult time.
Advertisements
I'm so very sorry - you are in my thoughts...
I don't have any words of wisdom or strategies for your children. Hopefully others that do will chime in - perhaps cross post in the general AP forum?
My upbringing included death because dad was a doctor, and it was treated as a normal part of life. I do know that stories keep those gone in your heart, and talking about them makes a difference because then they are still there.
Kind regards,
Dickons
I just wanted to say I am so very sorry you are in this position. I cannot imagine what you must be feeling and the rollercoaster of emotions you must be experiencing. My thoughts, like those of many others here on these forums, will be with you, your husband and your children. Please keep us all posted.
This article might give you some ideas but doesn't address the added layers of being adopted.
[url]http://www.cancer.org/treatment/childrenandcancer/helpingchildrenwhenafamilymemberhascancer/dealingwithaparentsterminalillness/dealing-with-a-parents-terminal-illness-how-to-explain-to-child[/url]
For the added layers I think that you may need to have more conversations that you expect to be around for a long time but you have made arrangements so that __________ will be the one stepping in...
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements