Advertisements
Advertisements
My adoptive father passed away when I was age 41. Since I was the executor of his estate I had to settle his affairs. I went through all the paperwork in his office. It was in a file folder with a bunch of old bills that I found my birth certificate & adoption papers. Good thing I did too, what if I'd tossed them in the garbage unknowingly! When I told my husband he was more in shock than I was at the time. We felt it may be a mistake because neither one of my parents mentioned a word about me being adopted. My adoptive mother passed away years earlier when I was 21. They both didn't discuss their past or anything personal with me, they were "ole school".
This piece of information didn't change my life dramatically. I haven't discussed any of this with any relative. It still seems weird. I wouldn't know what to say. The awkward thing is most people who knew my adopted parents must've known I was adopted. If so, I feel so foolish living a lie most of my life.
During a session with a therapist I was seeing about my medical issues (depression, perimenopause), she said it could explain why I question my identity. Other than that, I haven't really thought much about this unknown piece of my life's puzzle. Then again I've been very busy with other stuff on the go.
I Googled my birth mother's name a few times over the past few years to see what would come up. Got nothing.
Since my husband & I moved to a new house last year, I've been busy organizing. When I saw my birth papers I read them more carefully -- I have lots of time on my hands these days. In my case my birth parents names were stated on the documents.
I read a thread on Facebook -- people researching their relatives -- & found a free website familysearch.org. That didn't help. Last week I tried something different, I Googled my birth mother's and birth father's names together. Surprise, I found an online memorial site with a brief posting of my birth father's death in 1997. It was created by my birth mother in 2011! Decided to dig some more. Found out that they had both lived together before his death. She was using his last name but unclear if they were married, I couldn't find any marriage record. She's still alive, with a new last name.
Seems odd that they stayed together until his death. My papers say she was 22 when she gave me up. He was 30 according to my calculation. I am curious as to why I was given up, what circumstance led to that decision. It would be nice to have all the facts.
But I have no regrets whatsoever. Because I live by the belief that things are meant to be. I love both my adoptive parents deeply. We got along so well. I felt like we had a special bond all along. Maybe that's why they didn't tell me the truth, they didn't want to mess up a good thing. And so I wouldn't try to get in touch with my birth mother now. What would be the point? I don't need anything from her. I could risk getting hurt, hearing something I don't like. Or I may make her feel guilty needlessly.
Thanks for having this forum so I could get this off my chest.
:love:
Thanks for sharing your story. My bson will be 42 this October and we've been in reunion for almost 10 years. I will tell you that in the era your were adopted, birth parents were told to move on and forget they ever had a child. (I don't know if anyone can really do that... I know I never tried although I did believe I had not right to look for him.) It is definitely your choice to make contact or not. But if you wouldn't mind contact if she searched, you might want to register on this site (among others) in case she is looking for you.
Advertisements
I see that you have a lot of confusion about not being told you were adopted, and whether you should initiate contact. As the person above stated, the decision is truly your own to initiate contact with your birth mother.
However, I did a search on my own, and found my birth mother and birth father's side. I can tell you from personal experience, it is better to try than to live with the regret of never knowing people who love you.
My birth mother passed away last July 3rd, and I was heartbroken. I had only been in contact with her for a couple of years, but during those years, we never really made any progress as to the extent of my circumstances for my adoption.
My mother took a lot of secrets to her grave, but I am still in frequent contact with my siblings, nephews, nieces, cousins, aunts, and uncles. I would never have known how much I was loved, if I did not search.
You still have the chance to speak with your mother; to find out her reasons for giving you up. You may even have siblings you never knew about. I guess I am trying to tell you, it is better to know than to not.
God bless <3
I see that you have a lot of confusion about not being told you were adopted, and whether you should initiate contact. As the person above stated, the decision is truly your own to initiate contact with your birth mother.
However, I did a search on my own, and found my birth mother and birth father's side. I can tell you from personal experience, it is better to try than to live with the regret of never knowing people who love you.
My birth mother passed away last July 3rd, and I was heartbroken. I had only been in contact with her for a couple of years, but during those years, we never really made any progress as to the extent of my circumstances for my adoption.
My mother took a lot of secrets to her grave, but I am still in frequent contact with my siblings, nephews, nieces, cousins, aunts, and uncles. I would never have known how much I was loved, if I did not search.
You still have the chance to speak with your mother; to find out her reasons for giving you up. You may even have siblings you never knew about. I guess I am trying to tell you, it is better to know than to not.
God bless <3
Hi Kathy & Carmen
Thanks for your insights
I do appreciate input
I had a bad experience meeting 2 ladies on my adoptive father's side
Both my husband & I were hurt by them
So I don't want to risk any stress right now
My husband has major issues with his family too, he can't handle any more
I'm happy with the info I've found right now
I'll take it one day at a time
:flower:
I found out I was adopted at 40 yrs old on the day we buried my adoptive father. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks & I'm really struggling with life. I need help. I am so angry & it's eating me alive. Can someone please point me in the direction I need to go to get thru this before it kills me? Everyone but me knew about me my whole life. I was the big family secret. I suffered & struggled from very early in life with issues of rejection & not fitting in & not feeling love or apart of the family & my mother knew it. I had nothing in common with anyone. I felt like an outsider & from early childhood I knew something wasn't right but I turned the confusion inward, & developed many emotional issues that I'm still plagued with today. I was raised in a very strict Penecostal home. That is a big issue for me. My mother was a hard core church lady that was her whole life & she shoved it down my throat my whole life. It was all fake & my life is all a big fat lie. Those 2 facts can cause hate & bitterness in the light of day then speculation kicks in and you question your whole existence "had I known that 1 little fact about me would I have made the same choices that led me to the hell I went thru & now dwell in"? Please help
Advertisements
Christina -- I'm so very sorry. Your family had absolutely NO RIGHT to keep this information from you. You should have been told from the very beginning, and perhaps you wouldn't have felt like such an outsider. I'm not surprised at your anger; it's well-earned.
I might be able to point you to some online resources and support -- please get in touch with me.
Last update on December 13, 10:31 pm by Angry Adoptee.