Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone. My husband and I are adopting a sibling group (2 boys and one girl) and we have a question about name changes and whether it's a good idea. To start off with a little back ground, adoption wasn't something we had planned. The process started for us when I received a call saying I had a little cousin in foster care. We later found out he had 2 half siblings. We are adopting all 3 and the mother has been part of the process so far. We hadn't thought about changing their last names until their mother randomly asked us if we were going to. Right now, the 2 oldest have the same last name and the youngest (my cousin) has a different one. We they do come to live with us thats 3 different last names in one household. What we want to know is would it be a good idea to change their last name or should we leave it. And If we do decide we want to change it how do we bring up the idea with the birth mother?
The kids' ages are 2, 4, and 7 If you need them.
The children are given the last names of the parents adopting them. So after finalization, all 3 will have your last name unless for some reason you say no.
Since they are older, keep their first names and middle (unless the child wants it changed) but change the last name to yours. They legally will be your children through adoption therefore should have you and your husbands last name since you will be legally the parents.
Advertisements
Learning,
Their birth certificates will be amended and the originals sealed to list yourself and your husband as their parents. Yes, your children will have birth certificates that say you gave birth.
When that happens, their last names will change to yours. You could leave their last names as another middle name.
Lots of things that only you can decide what is the best...but I think it's wonderful that you are being proactive in thinking about it...
Whatever way you decide - get certified copies of their Original Birth Certificates for them when they become adults - based on the state they may be forever denied that right to their own factual certificate of birth.
Surnames do connect the child to their biological ancestry. Being adopted they are legally forever separated from that and grafted onto yours. You need to decide whether you need their last name to be your last name too - regardless if it changes they will still legally be your children. Come up with a list of questions like the ones below to help you decide.
Changing their surname to yours means you don't have to answer as many questions enrolling in school and other places.
Not changing their surname means the opposite but will it open up issues in your family - or will they want that tie in the future to that part of the family.
Changing the surname probably won't alleviate the questions or telling about being adopted at places like school if they have challenges from the trauma that has happened to them. The doctors will need to know they are adopted based on family health history and how they are biologically related to each member.
Not changing the surname may not make them feel wholly part of your new family.
Changing the surname may be applicable where you live if most families are intact families - the opposite may be the case if many families in your area have children with different surnames (blended families - which is what you are but a different blending)...
Another question/concern is if changing their surname strips them of any advantages - citizenship opportunities to other countries, native American. Even how into bloodlines your immediate family is - do any have membership in the Daughters or Sons or the Revolution (DAR membership etc).
How easy is it to link all the records they have to a new birth certificate? Do you need to do it? Will you need to get a new SS# (should you to protect from potential ID theft?). Do your homework and have the answers...
Does your state back date the filing date of an amended birth certificate or apply a new date (i.e. the adoption date)? That matters in how easy it is to apply for a passport as an adult. Any birth certificate that has a filing date of more than a year from birth (all your kids) will not be seen as primary proof of citizenship.
There are many reasons to change the surname, many reasons not to change.
Your oldest should also be part of the conversation...
Could you hyphenate all your names? How would that make you feel?
Kind regards,
Dickons
In my opinion the children should have your last name - you will become their legal parents. The name change does not change the facts of their history but the reality of their futures. Congratulations!