Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi! This is my first post, but I've been reading everyone's for a month or so. Figured it was time to sign up bc I'm going a little crazy.
My husband and I have been waiting for a placement for about a month. We have had zero calls. I know our age range is tough, but I thought there were so many children who needed homes.
We would like a girl 0 to 2. We already have 2 biological boys and think a little girl would fit in great with the boys. We are very eager to help a child.
We are with an FFA, no race restrictions. We do have medical restrictions. With already having 2 very busy, active boys, we know that it's not the right time to have a child with severe medical needs.
We are hoping to adopt. Thanks for your reply!
Advertisements
yousey
We are with an FFA, no race restrictions. We do have medical restrictions. With already having 2 very busy, active boys, we know that it's not the right time to have a child with severe medical needs.
We are hoping to adopt. Thanks for your reply!
Hopefully you get your call soon. I'm surprised you haven't received a call especially since you're with an FFA. if you've decided not to foster you may wait for a little while until the right match comes through. I hope the wait isn't too long.
I guarantee you'll get a call soon because you made this post. :p but seriously, I don't think the age range is the problem, but restricting to a girl, maybe? I know our FFA got two calls last week for legally free boy infants and none of our FFA homes have openings right now.
I think the issue is you are only willing to accept a girl who is only 0-2 instead of willing to take in either gender or sibling group. If you have the space, I would recommend maybe considering ages 0-5 sibling group of at least 2....then you def would get calls faster. Most of the kids in the system are boys or have siblings. That is why it is tougher for those who only want an infant girl because demand far exceeds supply. If you only want girls, maybe try sibling group of at least 2 only girls...that would help as well. I was in foster care as a 3 year old (2 when placed) and had a sister who was 1 year younger than me. Both of us girls and no one wanted us because we were a sibling group. Several foster placements between age 2 and 3. Last foster mother adopted us.
We wanted an infant but were willing to take in a sibling group of 2-3 either gender as well and we are foster to adopt home. About 1.5 months after last homestudy was completed, we got the call for a 4 year old boy, 22 mo old boy (25 months now) and a 14 mo old girl (almost 17 mo now but she was preemie so she actually wears size 6 mo to 9 mo). All three are siblings as well, got 2 infants including a girl. Yes it is difficult dealing with 3 kids so young, 2 being infants, but we wouldnt trade them for anything. They def do have issues from trauma as well as the last foster home not caring for the boys properly (the boys were some reason separated from their sister so we are the first home where all 3 lived together). But it is a learning process and so far they are getting where they need to be, slowly but surely getting there (nap time and bedtime is much better than before as well as eating better and healthier).
I also want to add that you are right there are many in the system, but you also have to remember most are going for reunification. That is another reason why is it so much tough to adopt a single female infant. By the time rights are terminated, the child would most likely already be aged 2+. So make sure you are considering all these factors.
Advertisements
I feel ya! We are with an FFA and are open to any gender, 0-8 with room for 3. We have been waiting a year. We are now taking PRIDE classes with the county! We have several groups of friends going through the county and they started the process after us, finished getting certified before us, and had placements come and go already. :rolleyes: very frustrating, but I'm a believer, and I know there is a plan and children for us. Hang in there! I'll be your waiting buddy.
Praying you get a call soon! waiting is so hard to do in foster care and it never gets easier! Hang in there! We are with the county and we only take in children under 2 because of our living arrangements and we've come to realize that this works perfect for our family. Best advice I can give is only take in what you can handle...if its one at a time so be it! all the children who come into care have great loss even at the tiny age of 2days! some more severe than others. If a girl is what you feel is best for your family then go for it! wait for your baby girl. If its one thing I've learned is to be patient, only take what you feel your family can handle and would want to handle. These children need a lot from you so its important that you have no regrets when accepting a placement.
Lastly, if your main goal is adoption like someone mentioned you may want to wait alittle longer to get matched with a child who is ready for adoption...As a foster parent your main goals should be to support Reunification if it's a health situation and be your foster child's biggest advocate! it's definitely not the easiest thing to do especially when you fall in love with these babies!!
And just to shed aliitle hope while your waiting...I get calls for girls way more than boys and because of the age group 0-2 I'm in 99 percent of the time they are newborns.:cloud9:
Good luck with your process! I wish you the best! :cheer:
We have just finished our home study and are awaiting certification. When we started we were asked why we choose county and the answer is all kids start at the county before they get to the FFA. Reading all the post I can't agree more, you have to take what you can handle as all the kids have something including newborns or they wouldn't be entering care. Our CW had begged us to go slow learn the system and only accept 1 or 2 children even though we can take more. Our preference is girls but we are happy if they offer both genders. Your match will come in the meantime just be ready. Would you consider 2 girls under 4?
Interestingly our county also requires newborn fosters to be 1 stay at home parent.
I am in same boat. Husband and I have been waiting 3 weeks for our first call. We are 0-2 any race or gender. It's driving me mad. We are in louisville ky
Advertisements
Hi again guys, just wanted to update you and let you know we got a call for a 3 month old drug baby girl, waiting to hear if we are chosen or not. Wanted to share so we can keep each other hopeful that things are happening. =) As I posted above, we have started classes with county and are licensed right now through FFA. They day before we got this call, we got a call for 3 sibling girls under 3, we didn't get them.
Are you in Kentucky? Trying to find out what to do to get us a placement call quicker. :-) Been waiting a month now.
For the CA people - what county? if you want to share, if not - I understand.
While we are not interested in fostering, we want to adopt, we are in SB County and been on the freaking list for over 2 years and NO CALLS!
We were hoping for boy/girl 0-3 as well.
I'm just trying to see other timeframes before I call SB County to put in a complaint. Basically I feel that our caseworker is against actually trying to help us at all.
Thank you! AND seriously - Good Luck to everyone out there! May you all have way better luck than us.
Hello there! We are in the central valley. Are you with an agency or county? We switched from an FFA to county and we finally have a match after 14 months! We haven't even received our county license yet. =)
Advertisements
To add to the wisdom shared above, we have been told by many SW's that the county will try to match with their own families before moving to FFA.
We finally had a call from our county and have a disclosure meeting tomorrow. It has taken 5 months ! We seriously tried to move on and not worry about it anymore. That's when we got the call. She is 3 months old and has been in an emergency home since she left the hospital.