Advertisements
Advertisements
Greeting everyone!
I am a newcomer to these boards and felt compelled to share my success as someone who was adopted.
Backstory: I was born in Colombia and was adopted when I was a baby. My parents told me I was adopted from the moment I could understand what that meant. I had always wondered about what my birth parents were like. I wanted to know why it happened. My parents are amazing and I have a great life. I just wanted to know. It was like a constant buzzing in my head or itch that I couldn't scratch.
With that in mind I began my search. My brother and sister were also adopted from Colombia from the same orphanage(not-blood related). They were lucky enough to visit the orphanage a few years ago. They were able to get my information in addition to their own.
On the copy of the birth certificate that they gave me I found a full name. I figured it was a long shot but I decided to search Facebook for the name. Miraculously the name showed up! I did some more sleuthing and looked at pictures. Yep, she had my eyes. I messaged her and got no response. I thought, "oh well it was to good to be true" I saved a link to her profile anyway just incase.
Last year
Last year I was browsing Facebook when I stumbled on the link I had saved. I thought to myself that perhaps something would be different this time and messaged her again. No response. This time however I checked through her friends list and saw that she had a sister! I messaged her. Nothing. I messaged another person with a similar name. Nothing. This happened over the course of a few weeks.
Finally, I noticed something, When you message someone that is not your friend on Facebook it goes to some other mailbox and not the main inbox that messages go to when you are friends with someone. You can pay a nominal fee to message someone right to their inbox! (it's less then a dollar if I remember correctly) I quickly typed up a message in the best Spanish I could muster ( 3 years of it in high school and 3 in college + google translate) I stated who I was and that I was looking for my birth mother and if that was her. (Very intense stuff but I felt like it was her.)
I got a message back within the hour saying that yes, she did put up a child for adoption! I was floored. We chatted a bit more and with each passing moment I felt like I had hit the jackpot. We decided to video chat (even thought mi espanol es my malo) I was created not only be her but many other members of the family. we compared more notes just to be sure and also compared the mark I have on my finger. It was the same. After that I was convinced. I was introduced to my younger brother and sister and my older sister and many others.
This Year
After chatting for a few months on video and Facebook I decided to go meet them in person. At this point I was 99.99% sure I had the right person. I scheduled a trip for January and got back from that trip a few days ago. ( I went with my girlfriend) It was her. It was them. It was an emotional roller coaster but I somehow found them. Was I scared and worried? YEP! Was I excited? YEP I still can't believe I found her AND she is a good person as well. There was always that worry that I would find someone and I would wish they had stayed unfound. I got really lucky.
Here is the Video of my Reunion: [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE96ELRKruI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE96ELRKruI[/URL]
Wow! That's a great story and it sounds like your searching was meant to be. So glad your reunion went well :love:
Welcome to the forum!
-Spud :Chewie:
Advertisements