Advertisements
Advertisements
I am searching for any clues to the original family of two small girls adopted in 1931 from a Fort Wayne orphanage. The application to the court states they were under care of Board of Children's Guardians of Allen County. Their original names are Betty Jean Earnst (b 1927)and her baby sister Evalyn Earnst (b 1929). The children's names were changed to Gene Ann Zimmerman and baby sister to Geraldine Zimmerman, after the adoption became final in 1931. I am running in circles with no ideas how to find these records. Thanks!
Hi Traci,
I found some information in two different 1930 Census Records.
1930 Census
State: Indiana
County: Allen
Township: Perry Township
Date: April 28, 1930
Institution: Childrens Home
Noted that the Institution is a Farm
Ruth E Earnst
Age 1
Birthplace: Indiana
FatherҒs Birthplace: Indiana
Mothers Birthplace: Indiana
Betty Jean is not listed as living in the ChildrenҒs Home in the 1930 Census
I then checked Gene Zimmerman in the 1930 Census and found her already living with the Zimmermans, it is noted that she is the adopted daughter.
1930 Census
State: Indiana
County: Allen
Township: Wayne Township
Date: April 10, 1930
Address was on Third Street and they (Zimmerman) owned the home.
Gene A - adopted daughter her age is three - and what appears to be either 3 or 8 of 12 months. Born in Indiana.
What is most startling though is that Ruth E Earnst is also listed as living in the home as a Boarder. It shows her age as 1 and 3/12 months.
It also confirms what is noted in the Childrens Home Census (1st one above) for Ruth but here notes that both Ruth E/Evalyn and Betty Jean/Gene mother and father were born in Indiana.
If I find anything else I will let you know.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Just had another thought. You mentioned that you had the adoption paperwork. Did you ask for or apply for the original birth certificates?
Prior to 1941 in Indiana they should not be sealed away. You should be able to request a Long Form Original Birth Certificate in their names at birth.
Kind regards,
Dickons