Advertisements
Advertisements
Looking for birth family of my mom, allegedly born 11/28/30 in NYC.
Left at what might have been a daycare type boarding house (run by Mrs Emma Richbell--anyone know the name?). She was kept a few hours and turned over to the police as her mother was supposed to come right back and didn't. Estimated age was 2 weeks, and this was mid-Dec.
DNA testing done at Ancestry, 23andMe, and FtDNA.
Gedmatch: M471736
I just looked her up on the 1930 US Census and the only Emma Richbell is as follows:
Lived at 241 West 74th Street, Manhattan, NY, NY
Current age 38
First marriage at age 37
Occupation nurse
From England, both parents born in England
Listed as the Head of the family with no husband or children listed
I could not find a marriage record.
I found a Emma Louise Richbell as arriving in NY in 1921 and listed her birth as being in Gravesend, Kent, England and born around 1890, her occupation is listed as nurse, she appears to have been traveling with a Dorothy Townsend age 31 and a nurse (same cabin). Other records indicate that Emma Louise Richbell is the one in the US 1930 Census above.
I also found a probate record for Emma Louisa Richbell who died in Essex, England 11 Nov 1941 and born about 1890 leaving her estate to a Miss Lillian Bertha Richbell which may be her younger sister based on a prior English Census. Indications suggest this is the same person, so if it is, she returned home to England.
Is it possible that Emma Louise Richbell is actually the mother? Did you do any mtdna testing?
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Thanks for that info. We had found most of that, but also that she died in FL:
1945 FL Census
1017 Waters Avenue, Hillsborough Co.
Oren Mathewson, 74, b. IA, 9th gr, Retired
Emma “ , 54, b. ENG, h.s.
Glenn “ , 15, b. NY, 9th gr, PO Clerk
We found several people by the same name still in England too, so we're thinking "our" Emma went to FL.
Thanks for that info. We had found most of that, but also that she died in FL:
1945 FL Census
1017 Waters Avenue, Hillsborough Co.
Oren Mathewson, 74, b. IA, 9th gr, Retired
Emma , 54, b. ENG, h.s.
Glenn ӓ , 15, b. NY, 9th gr, PO Clerk
We found several people by the same name still in England too, so we're thinking "our" Emma went to FL.
Not sure why that posted twice. She shows as having a son born in 1930, but we could not find a record of his birth in NYC.
And yes, (can't edit my posts either: W1c haplogroup. Her DNA shows she has ancestry in two primary areas: northern Europe/UK and Poland/Belarus area. And W1C seems to have two main groupings. Yeah: northern Europe/UK and Poland/Belarus.
Advertisements
Funny I ruled that one out because of the place of birth and the English census.
I really hope you find her...
Have you compared your results to surname dna groups?
the forum is full of glitches and they are working on a new one...
Kind regards,
Dickons
We know she returned to England at least once--or someone with the same name left NY and came back. So your info might be better than mine. If h.s. after the FL census info means high school, and she was a nurse, could be that your info is more accurate. Not sure if nursing school was equivalent to high school. I know the school system is different in England.
We strongly suspect my mother's given name of Harrington (and mother's maiden name of Ethel Holt Harrington) was made up by someone. I have found not a single Holt or Harrington in any DNA match or family names. The address left by the "mother" was "impossible" according to the notes from 1930, and our search of 1930s NY records show it was a bookbinders in an industrial area. My gut reaction is Ms. Richbell (listed as Mrs. in the police report) helped unwed mothers who needed to place children but didn't want to be known.
Robin
We know she returned to England at least once--or someone with the same name left NY and came back. So your info might be better than mine. If h.s. after the FL census info means high school, and she was a nurse, could be that your info is more accurate. Not sure if nursing school was equivalent to high school. I know the school system is different in England.
We strongly suspect my mother's given name of Harrington (and mother's maiden name of Ethel Holt Harrington) was made up by someone. I have found not a single Holt or Harrington in any DNA match or family names. The address left by the "mother" was "impossible" according to the notes from 1930, and our search of 1930s NY records show it was a bookbinders in an industrial area. My gut reaction is Ms. Richbell (listed as Mrs. in the police report) helped unwed mothers who needed to place children but didn't want to be known.
Robin
There are several English Trees that confirm the Emma that was born in Gravesend, Kent, England is the one in the arrival ship records showing she was a nurse and born in Gravesend. The 1930 US Census record is the only one I could find that matched her. The Emma that died in 1942 in Essex, England probate left to Lillian Berth Richbell - the tree below shows that Emma and Lillian as sisters - no idea if you can see it.
[url]http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/4039869/person/-1190493594?ssrc=[/url]
Kind regards,
Dickons
PS you have five minutes to edit a post and I have to click edit twice.
Advertisements
She was married in 1930 per the census so that makes sense. Emma could have helped mothers - will see if I can dig anything more up tomorrow.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Following up:
A lucky break and a lot of research, and this summer we were able to identity my mom's birth mother and father. The name given when she was left at the day care was indeed false, as was the mother's name. But at least we know, now, her mother's name and her father's identity too.
Advertisements