Advertisements
Advertisements
the state of Nevada will not give me a drivers license without providing them a copy of my adoption records from 47 years ago...it is beyond difficult to find these and to see if my stepdad even actually adopted me...I am contacting local and national media and considering litigation as my constitutional rights are being denied me...I cannot drive legally , etc without this!! discrimination !!!!
Blake in Las Vegas
Blake, I'm confused -- don't you have a copy of your birth certificate? If your stepdad adopted you, there should be an amended birth certificate on file with the state. I'm wondering if what happened to you is what happened to a couple of my extended family members who believed they had been adopted by their stepfathers but weren't. They took their stepdads' surnames as children. They both ended up having to change their surnames back to their first fathers' names, but they were able to get their drivers licenses with their original birth certificates.
It all kind of sucks, doesn't it? A LOT of adoptees have trouble obtaining passports if their adoptions weren't finalized by the time of their first birthdays. :(
Advertisements
is this your first driver's license, Blake? i just looked at the handbook for Nevada. they accept a transfer license from another state, i believe. they also say that there are other acceptable forms of ID. i can't imagine why, at 47 years out from the adoption, that it is even a problem.
Nevada has come into compliance with the Real ID Act.
Some adoptee's amended birth certificates are not acceptable - depends on the state and the year....
As more states move to this - more adoptees will be impacted.
You should get a statement from the Nevada DL requirements and petition the court in the county your adoptive parents resided in to have your entire adoption file unsealed including your original birth certificate - for cause. I don't think it costs anything and most likely a form to fill out.
Kind regards,
Dickons
thanks...birth certificate has one name....ss # has stepdads name....lost my CA license and Nevada won't accept paper copy so I need adoption papers...searched and looks like stepdad never legally adopted me.....this is a nightmare
RavenSong
Blake, I'm confused -- don't you have a copy of your birth certificate? If your stepdad adopted you, there should be an amended birth certificate on file with the state. I'm wondering if what happened to you is what happened to a couple of my extended family members who believed they had been adopted by their stepfathers but weren't. They took their stepdads' surnames as children. They both ended up having to change their surnames back to their first fathers' names, but they were able to get their drivers licenses with their original birth certificates.
It all kind of sucks, doesn't it? A LOT of adoptees have trouble obtaining passports if their adoptions weren't finalized by the time of their first birthdays. :(
thanks...birth certificate has one name....ss # has stepdads name....lost my CA license and Nevada won't accept paper copy so I need adoption papers...searched and looks like stepdad never legally adopted me.....this is a nightmare
Advertisements
i am going thru the same thing and I know I was adopted by my step father but the paper work no longer exist and my mom cant remember the county and city it took place to have my original birth certificate unsealed and the state won't even give me that information so I can do that. so yea it is a nightmare and something needs to be done. i don't see what they need our adoption papers can someone explain that to me.