Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, My husband and I recently became foster parents, however we are interested in adopting older children, probably teens.
I saw a child who was featured on an "A Place To Call Home" segment of the news. This was in September 2014, and this child's story just spoke to me. He is still listed. I made and inquiry into him and then our caseworker sent our Home Study to His caseworker this past Thursday, and Today is Monday. When I inquired his caseworker told me that if we were selected she would call us for an interview.
My question is.....Where does it go from here? How long does it generally take for them to review a Home Study and decide if they are considering you as a forever home?
He lives in another county approximately 3 hours away, so how would visits go? He is 15, so I am just curious if anyone else has had any experience?
Thank you so much for any help or advice!!
Can't speak to how long it could take but my son moved in at fifteen and was adopted at sixteen. If you have any questions, ask away!
Advertisements
Hunterdon
Can't speak to how long it could take but my son moved in at fifteen and was adopted at sixteen. If you have any questions, ask away!
Hi, was adopting an older child a challenge? What questions did they ask you in your matching interview?
I am very eagerly awaiting a reply from the casemanager. I truly feel like we will be a match for this boy. He is 15. I have a 17 year old girl, a 14 year old boy, a 6 year old boy and a 4 year old boy.
Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Hmmm. What questions did they ask? I'm remembering questions on how I would handle certain situations as far as discipline, sexual behaviors, and so on.
Words of wisdom? Don't really have any but find out as much as you can. Talk to his foster parents, teachers, therapists, coaches, or any one else you can. Talk to him. Find out what his idea of being adopted is all about. Find out how much contact he has with his birth family and whether they are local to you or not. Ask what forms of discipline work with him, what therapies (if any) have been tried and what are the results? How does he react to discipline? Has he ever been treated for drug or alcohol abuse? Is he currently taking any medication? Does he have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How is he doing in school? Is school important to him? And the most telling question of all, in my very humble opinion, how are his relationships with his peers?
Adopting a teen is unlike any other experience I've ever had. I adore my son but it would be untruthful to say it hasn't been incredibly difficult. I've always thought one thing that has helped with my son is he is, in my household, the only child. Not saying that's necessary or even good for every child but it works for my son.
Ask. Read. Talk. Research. And if you have it in you - GO FOR IT!