Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all! My husband and I are gearing up to attend our first informational meeting to begin fostering. We are planning on getting certified as foster to adopt for children under four.
My main concern is our current living situation - we are in a one bedroom, almost 900 square foot apartment. I have not been able to find any guidelines on fostering in an apartment. Anyone know the rules on this? We are also volunteering for respite care through Little Footprints, and I have been told they don't require separate rooms for respite care.
If we can move forward with fostering, either now or once we are in a larger space, I am not sure if we should go with a private agency or not. Little Footprints is affiliated with Loving Alternative Adoption Agency. Any advice on this agency or any others in Houston would be greatly appreciated! (I should have PMs turned on.)
Also, general advice about fostering/adopting in Houston in general would be awesome. Are there pitfalls we need to look out for or things that we should or should not do to increase our chances of having a baby placed with us?
We are excited to take this leap! Thanks to all who can help advise us along the way!!
Advertisements
Infants can stay in your room so I wouldn't guess there would be an issue in the least. In time, you'll move to a bigger place as your children age or you want more of them. No biggie :)
Your name isn't click-able so I can't share our agency (which has a branch in Houston...I even know the woman who runs it). But unfortunately there are plenty of children needing homes so no doubt you'll get one soon after you get licensed. It took us about two weeks to get our Squishy after we reopened.
Infants can stay in your room so I wouldn't guess there would be an issue in the least. In time, you'll move to a bigger place as your children age or you want more of them. No biggie :)
Your name isn't click-able so I can't share our agency (which has a branch in Houston...I even know the woman who runs it). But unfortunately there are plenty of children needing homes so no doubt you'll get one soon after you get licensed. It took us about two weeks to get our Squishy after we reopened.
Here is a compressed .pdf that will answer many of your questions. It is written from an agency prospective, but provides the specific regulation numbers. [url]http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/documents/Child_Care/Child_Care_Standards_and_Regulations/749_CPA_condensed_foster_12-2014.pdf[/url]
In Houston, at least, you can have a baby up to the age of two in your room. There is a push to get everyone in Texas going through a private agency, if you know of one you want to work with I would go through them. I like having an agency that is also watching out for me and my family, less of a pool to families to consider when considering where a child(ren) should be placed.
I'll try to PM you with some details of our agency.
Welcome to fostering
Advertisements
Thank you all for your advice! I have PM'd the two of you who offered to share your experiences with agencies in Houston. And thanks for that document - it is extremely helpful!
If anyone else is willing to share their agency experience and advice, please post here and I'll PM you! I changed the setting in my profile to allow PMs, but it doesn't seem to have made my name clickable yet.
Thank you all!
Shantyn - I tried to send you a PM last night but got an error message - just tried again, got the same error message but now it is looking like but PMs went through. If both really went through... sorry about that
If neither one really went through let me know and I will try something else
Nope. I didn't receive anything. Does anyone know the trick to turn on PMs? I've clicked it on under Edit Options. Is there something else I need to do, like post in certain places or something?
In any case, you can email me directly at bible_chick@yahoo.com until I can figure this out.
Nope. I didn't receive anything. Does anyone know the trick to turn on PMs? I've clicked it on under Edit Options. Is there something else I need to do, like post in certain places or something?
In any case, you can email me directly at bible_chick@yahoo.com until I can figure this out.
Advertisements