Advertisements
Advertisements
I live in Massachusetts and have just been told I am allowed to provide respite or hotline foster care for children age 1 and under provided I pass all of the requirements. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I am mostly interested in taking a child for a few days or so while a foster parent goes on vacation or has a family emergency etc.
In my living room I have a craft area with a book shelf filled with craft supplies and a few rolling carts as well a a craft table. A few of the rolling carts I could put in a storage closet and lock it while I have children. For the area with the bookshelf I was thinking about putting a baby gate around the area. It would have to be a big gate that would be flexible and fit an irregular shape instead of going straight across from wall to wall. I am not sure if my apartment complex would like if I do too much when it comes to installing hardware into the walls. However, I do not think they have a pressure mounted gate that would fit the requirements I need. Another options is to just try and put all of my craft supplies away for now. I do have a lot of them. Any ideas?
Also, for people that live in apartments did anyone have trouble with the landlord allowing you to do foster care?
I am sure I have a lot more questions but, I will start with that for now. :) Thanks in advance for your help.
It depends on what kind of craft supplies - I am a scrapbooker and I just locked up all my glue and scissors, but the paper etc stayed out (it's organized into bins and on shelves). There was no problem with this as I had put away everything that was "dangerous" or could be harmful to any kids.
I would think that would be sufficient.
I wouldn't do anything major until you have your walkthrough - the licensing worker will be more specific with you on what she needs in order for you to be licensed. I would wait for that, rather then do something and find out its not right.
Advertisements
You might try a freestanding gate like this
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Richell-94135-Freestanding-Autumn-Finish/dp/B000AQPSC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430226100&sr=8-1&keywords=standing+gate]Amazon.com : Richell 94135 Freestanding Pet Gate with Autumn Matte Finish, Small : Indoor Safety Gates : Pet Supplies[/url]