Advertisements
Advertisements
We have been kinship fostering to our almost 5 month old fs. We have had him for almost 3 months now. Bio mom (husbands cousin). We are fairly close to her. By that I mean, we see her at family reunions. We don't visit on a regular basis. It will be going to adoption within the next few months. We are contemplating changing his whole name. But I am worried about hurting bio mom's feelings. Has anyone else dealt with kinship adoption?
Ultimately it's up to you in regards to the name as it will be your child once the adoption is final. We changed our daughters last name to ours (it's our niece) and moved her previous last name as a middle name when we adopted her. Luckily her previous last name sounded just like a middle name so it worked. Now that our daughter is 15 she wants her middle name changed because she doesn't want it anymore. She has no contact with her biomom anymore due to drug issues and has come to realize why. When she was younger it was different. So it's really up to you. I understand your concern about biomoms feelings however this child is going to be your child and it's really up to you what you feel is best. Looking back I wish we had changed her middle and last name and just kept her first name. It's so hard to see into the future though.
Advertisements