Advertisements
Advertisements
We are in NJ and tomorrow we attend our orientation event. I'm not worried about background checks for either of us; my guy has had it through work and DCF already has mine as I am a Pre-k teacher. I called and made sure we could apply even though we live in an extended family house (we have our own house, but it is connected through a doorway we don't use and that is locked from the other side). I thought I could get a few other questions answered, but they didn't really want to chat. ;-)
I have so many questions about homestudy - will they give us a checklist at the orientation?!? LOL
I don't know, for instance, if I need a real lock on medicine or just a child-proof lock. The same goes to cleaners.
We have finished floors in all but one room (the master bedroom) because when we moved in it smelled like cat pee so we ripped the carpet up. We logically finished up all the rooms "anyone else will see" and haven't done that because it would require moving all the furniture. I wish I knew if they'll have an issue with it.
What kind of financial information are they going to look for? I don't make much money as I work part-time and am a student, but my partner makes more, and we have no debt and not many bills. I'm figuring they just want to make sure we're not in it for the money and that we can cover a child until they "reimburse" us?
We have dogs and all their paperwork, but will they need to meet them? They jump is all...and one of them has a nervous bladder around new people who touch her ears/head. LOL They have a "doggie mudroom" in the kitchen and from there can be let into the house, so we'd be able to familiarize a new child to them without them licking the child to death.
From my rambling I'm sure you can tell I am EXCITED! :happydance: :banana: :happydance:
Is there any chance I'll be able to ask my questions at the orientation event or get a hand book or something? NJ doesn't seem to publish much online and I'm the sort that feels happy with a checklist in my hands. lol :eyebrows:
Advertisements
Good luck!
A lot of your questions depend on what state you're in. We got a folder at our orientation with all of the paperwork we would eventually fill out or need for our certification, but I still had questions after going through it all.
In NJ some of these issues will be covered at orientation, others during the PRIDE training. If you decide to proceed with the training you will be given a ton of reading material that will prep you for the homestudy. Are you going through the state or an agency that is licensed by the state? I recommend you go through an agency because you will likely get any questions answered more quickly, plus the agency does the homestudy and then the state inspector makes a separate appointment to check and flag anything. The good thing about the agency doing the initial homestudy is that they flag things first and that gives you a chance to prepare for the state. What part of NJ are you in?
I'm not sure how your state is, but in our state we were provided a check list. It was 3 pages long! However, a lot of the requirements on the check list did not apply to us. It really depends on what age group you chose in order for what changes you have to make in the house hold.
The Home Study was not bad at all. I freaked out over nothing!
As for the living arrangement. Here, I don't think it would be an issue as long as the children have their own room or bed.
What my husband and I did for the medicine.... we actually went and purchased a plastic tool box and then bought a lock and a key for it. lol. We were walking in Target one day and thought "hey that'd be a great thing for our meds!" So we can store our medicine tool box where ever, under the bed or in the cabinet. Our cleaning products passed cause they were out of reach from the children and then we also have a little storage cabinet in the garage that has a lock and a key on it. However, child proof locks should be okay too. We just prefer the regular ole lock and key so we can put it on our key chain with the others.
The finical form is basically seeing if you and your husband support yourselves fine. It doesn't matter who makes the money, they just want to see if you are able to pay the bills and possibly take care of the child's need until you receive your first check. The finical form is rather in-depth though.
We have 2 dogs as well. We only cage them inside at night, but for the most part they stay out in the back yard. When DHR arrived for the Home Study they only looked out the back windows to see the dogs, never really made any contact with them.....and our dogs are known to jump too.
You should be able to request a check list and they provide you one..... because they will have to go by the same check list to. However, we did not receive our check list until after GPS..... which I believe is also known as PRIDE in some states(?)
Good Luck! :)
Advertisements