Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, I am new here but hoping to get some advice! My boyfriend and I have owned our house and lived together since March 2014. We are not married and both are 26. I am a teacher and he has a full time job as well.
We have recently decided that we are very interested in becoming foster parents. We bot have a great love in our hearts for providing a safe home for children that may need it. We will be attending an informational meeting in May.
I'm curious if anyone here has any experience becoming foster parents if they are unmarried intimate partners- this is the states wording. Do you have any advice or encouraging words of how it works in this situation?
Thanks in advance! :love:
It depends on your state and their regulations as well as even your agency, I would think.
I can tell you about Missouri and how the county Children's Division does it - because I just attended a foster parent support group for my county and there is a woman there who has an unmarried partner. We actually got started talking about it last week for some random reason.
She said only one of them was required to be licensed, but because there is another adult living in the home her partner was required to get background checked, fingerprinted etc. Additionally, BOTH of them have to do the required training each year (here you are required to have 30 hours of continued training each licensing period... which is every 2 years).
Personally, I would probably go ahead and both of you get licensed - just so you say you are. If you have to do all the training anyway.... I don't see why you wouldn't.
However - the stipend is paid only in the name of the licensed foster parent (whereas we get a check made out to "me and hubby names"). I am not sure about court, family support team meetings etc. it sounds like the 2nd parent give input to the reporting, but only the licensed parent goes to the meetings. That may be preference.... I'm not sure they would keep the other partner out of the meetings. I would it might depend on your caseworker though.
Advertisements
Texas is very similar to what Missouri said. The child is placed with one of the adults and the other is an adult in the home.
This seems to work for the couples I know, mostly same sex couples. Texas does not recognize marriage between same sex individuals, so this is how it is handled.
I know one couple, both are licensed and they have two placements, one child placed with each, then their partner is another adult in the home...it will be interesting to see what happens as both of their cases are heading towards adoption.
I agree with PP, that even though only one technically needs to be licensed I would encourage both to do so. It shows good support and assures that both partners are on the same page with the whole process.
Good luck on your journey. It is the hardest, most wonderful thing I have ever done.
Hi there!
I don't know what state you are in, but in New Mexico, there are no differences whatsoever for unmarried partners vs. married partners. You are treated as a couple either way and you would need to go through the same training, receive the same checks, etc.
Just another perspective for you. :)