Advertisements
Advertisements
Our family has been doing visits with a 5 year old girl for several months now. We suspect that she may be RAD-Disinhibited.
Could anyone please provide some examples of how these symptoms were/are displayed in children you've parented or worked with?
Any information would be hugely helpful.
Thank you in advance!
Advertisements
Common behaviors include:
1, Failure to show preference for family/primary caregivers versus others. Unlikely to say, "I love you, Mom" unless prompted or trying to manipulate parent into doing what he/she wants. May say, "I love you," to the bus driver or other stranger.
2. Failure to have normal reserve around strangers. Often appears very social, willing to go up to strangers and talk with them, sing a song for them, etc., where most children would be a bit timid about interacting with adults whom they do not know well.
3. Failure to look to parent/primary caregiver for support or permission in new situation, such as when asked by another child if he/she wants to play. Tendency to ask strangers for comfort or assistance, instead of seeking out parent/caregiver.
4. Failure to be anxious or upset about leaving parent/primary caregiver. May walk away from perfectly good foster parents to go to a new foster home, without saying goodbye or appearing sad. May not care if parent/caregiver is present or absent.
5. Failure to respond with pleasure to the return of a parent/caregiver.
6. Inability to form normal relationships with other children -- limited understanding of their social cues.
7.. In some cases, behaviors typical of much younger children ("babyish" behaviors).
8. In some cases, generalized anxiety/hypervigilance -- one writer described as "frozen watchfulness".
Sharon
Thousandgifts, RAD is definitely a point of concern. But who told you this is RAD? Even if you have certain suspicion, you’d better take a child to a doctor.
In order not to repeat twice, you may find my personal overview of RAD problem in my blog. Here is a link
Take care.