Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a few questions...When do most people start fundraising for adoptions? Do most people start raising money after they have been matched?
Has anyone else had the fear that after you do raise money...that for some reason the adoption will not happen (mom changes mind) or it will take a year to even be matched?
This is our situation...We started out foster to adopt and we have a approved home study with out current agency. We are starting to feel more led to infant adoption with a different agency...but as of right now our foster/adoption agency says that our home study is not transferable. :mad:
I think as long as you are using the funds directly for adoption (which I'm sure you are), it shouldn't matter if its this contact, or a future one. If it was me, I'd start now for peace of mind if the funds are crucial for the adoption. Are you planning on using our fundraising site? Check it out if you haven't at Adoption.com/fundraising. Good luck!
Advertisements
I am personally not a big fan of any fundraising for adoption. That just emphasizes the 'baby for sale' aspect that so many already (wrongly) perceive about adoption. Plus, if you can't afford to pay for the adoption, what are you going to do when you have big expenses pop up during the life of the child?
But I also realize my views are probably not those of the majority on this topic, and people have every right to donate to any cause or charity that they feel drawn to... and so I think if you are intent on fundraising, you could probably start any time once your home study is approved and you are signed with an agency. I would just keep copious notes on who gave you what so, if for any reason you end up not adopting through a private agency, you can refund every cent you were given.
It would seem appropriate to at least be signed with an agency and have a completed, approved home study before asking people for money.
Oh, yes. I was just assuming you have a home study. I would for sure not start until you have a valid home study, but after that the timing is at your discretion.
Advertisements
Adoption is extremely expensive and most people dont have 30k-40k cash ready or the means to save it quickly (my child's adoption happened in 5weeks). That doesnt mean they cant afford to have children or pay for big expenses that come up as a family. Most big and unexpected/pop-up expenses hitting that high of an amount, would be covered under insurance.
I would say fundraising should start after signed with an agency and having an approved homestudy.
A. Adoption doesn't have to be expensive.
B. *IF* a $30k adoption is in your plans, you should start saving well ahead of time.
C. Should you decide that you absolutely must hit up friends and family (and the occasional stranger) for money to obtain a child, please do so respectfully and mindfully; remembering that anything you post on the internet now will be searchable by your adopted child at a future date.
A. Adoption doesn't have to be expensive. That's a choice you make.
B. *IF* a $30k adoption is in your plans, you should start saving well ahead of time. Don't wait until the last minute, just in case "the perfect opportunity" arises unexpectedly.
C. Should you decide that you absolutely must hit up friends and family (and the occasional stranger) for money to obtain a child, please do so respectfully and mindfully; remembering that anything you post on the internet now will be searchable by your adopted child at a future date.
D. If you think all future unexpected expenses are covered by insurance, I suggest you spend some time perusing crowd-funding sites. There are many, MANY people trying to raise money for expenses that were not covered by, or exceeded, insurance benefits.
KNS146
Has anyone else had the fear that after you do raise money...that for some reason the adoption will not happen (mom changes mind) or it will take a year to even be matched?
Many agencies will roll over the money you have spent on agency fees toward your next match if the expectant mom decides not to place the child, so you generally don't need to worry that you'll lose all the money as long as you plan to adopt via that agency eventually. (If you pay any money toward expectant mom expenses, though, you would lose that in a failed match because it's considered a gift - there isn't a guarantee of a baby.) You should obviously confirm your agency's policies on this before you sign anything or start paying them.
If it takes a long time to be matched, I don't really see the issue. It seems like it would be a lot less stressful to have the money there for when the time comes than to have to put it together last minute, regardless of how long you end up waiting.
Advertisements
Before you start any fundraising, did you talk to your agency about any way they can help? Sometimes they have grants, and you can apply for them etc. Also, sometimes you can receive some help from work (depending on the company) and then you can also get a big chunk back when you file your tax return after your adoption is complete. And most agencies do not ask for everything ahead etc. I would inquire more about other options before I would go for fundraising. From my experience, as an AP, adoption is so personal and it can be such a long journey that you don't want to feel any additional pressure from people.
Thanks for the responses.
If your curious...We have signed with a agency and we do have a approved home study. We also have money set aside for the adoption. I just wanted opinions on what other people did.
Some people need to calm down :eek:
Some people need to calm down? I don't see anyone here who hasn't been calm in their responses.
If you don't mind me asking, if you already have money set aside for adoption expenses, then why consider fundraising?
For those who are paying $30-$40K to adopt, I suggest looking into other avenues and agencies. I did a private infant adoption that was much less than that. Plus, adopting through foster care is basically free. Also, don't forget about the adoption tax credits - both nationally and, in many cases, through your state.
KNS146
Thanks for the responses.
If your curious...We have signed with a agency and we do have a approved home study. We also have money set aside for the adoption. I just wanted opinions on what other people did.
Some people need to calm down :eek:
Everybody was calm. But since you wrote "We started out foster to adopt and we have a approved home study with out current agency. We are starting to feel more led to infant adoption with a different agency...but as of right now our foster/adoption agency says that our home study is not transferable" it was logical for people to think that you did not have an approved home study from an agency that you are signed with and actually going to adopt from. Hence the advice to wait until that was done before hitting people up for money.
Said calmly.
Advertisements