Advertisements
Advertisements
my grandfather james D. Pugh was adopted his birth name was John Adams and his mothers maiden name was adams and she wasn't married. He was born in new York 1917-1919 in either Rochester or in new York,new York in September-his adoptive parents were wayne pugh and Theresa pugh-my grandfather passed away from cancer in 2005 and we never knew who his real family was thank you for your time :wings: :wings: :wings: :wings:
Hi:
New York is one of the states that has very specific requirements that must be met before they will allow anyone to look at or even search for a birth record. There is no single index that can be accessed -- for any reason. In order to find out who your grandfather's bio parents were you would have to have a court order to open the adoption file created at the time the Pugh family adopted him. You would need to hire an attorney to help you with this and have a reason the courts would accept and genealogy is not typically a valid reason for opening an adoption file. If you did gain access to such a record it would reveal more pertinent information about John Adams (including his mother/father), however the name is extremely common and many were living in the New York area around the period you are interested in (I checked) and they would be a challenge to research.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Terri E.
Adoption Angel
Advertisements