Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a foster parent dealing with something new. An 18 month old who can climb out of the crib. We've removed everything from the crib but she still managed to climb out. Since she's new to our home and she's so young I'd rather not use the toddler bed just yet. Any suggestions? Some one recommended a sleep sack, anyone tried that?
Appreciate any help or advice you guys might have.
Yep, a sleep sack would be great. Basically you just need to prevent her from being able to get one foot high enough to get over the rail. So a sleep sack would be perfect. Once I couldn't find a sleep sack in the right size, so I just sewed the legs of the child's pajamas together from crotch to knee. Worked perfectly!
Advertisements
As you don't want to have your child wandering the house, I'd recommend bringing the toddler mattress into your room and putting it on the floor. Let her sleep there. She won't have to do any climbing, risking a fall, and if you keep your door closed (with a toddler doorknob device, if needed), she won't be able to leave your room. You'll have the added advantage of being able to be right there to soothe your child if she becomes upset at night, and she may feel more secure with you right there.
Sharon
My daughter came home from China at 18.5 months of age. Luckily, she LOVED cribs and had no desire to climb out. I actually had to do a lot of convincing to get her to move to a toddler bed when she was almost 3.5 years old. But if she had been a climber, I can tell you that sleep sacks probably would not have worked. She hated footed sleepers, and would scream all night if I didn't remove them; mostly, they made her too warm, but I think that she also did not like to feel confined. Even when I put her in thin, two piece PJs or a nightgown, I would often find her sleeping without anything on but her diaper, in the middle of Winter. Initially, I was worried that she'd get too cold, but I finally just turned up the heat a little and let her sleep the way she felt comfortable. She had fewer illnesses than most kids, and was a great sleeper once the nightwear battle was ended.
A friend of my daughter's, also from China, was more of a monkey-girl, and began climbing out of her crib at 17 months. Her Mom put a mattress on the floor next to the crib, and put a lot of other cushiony things around, so that she would not get hurt when she climbed out. But when she began roaming the house and doing unsafe things, like learning to unlock the front door and go out, and getting the stepstool to reach things put on top of the refrigerator, her Mom went with either co-sleeping or putting a mattress or sleeping bag in her room for the girl to use. As it turned out, her second daughter also was an early climber, and both girls had a great need for a sense of security. Their Mom's room became a sort of family cabin, with both kids sleeping either in her bed or on the floor near it.
I'm ever so glad that I didn't have a monkey-child, as co-sleeping would not have worked for me. I am an extremely light sleeper, to the point where, when I was housetraining a puppy, I had the puppy on my bed because I would awaken at her slightest movement and know that she needed to go out. I never paper trained that puppy; we simply went out about every two hours round the clock until she could sleep for longer periods. Moreover, my daughter was a "wild" sleeper. I always said she slept like the hands of a clock -- a different position every minute. I would probably have had my jaw broken and scars all over myself, the way she kicked and tossed! Even when she was sleeping normally, and not having night terrors (which she had till age 4), she was the wildest sleeper I ever met.
Sharon