Advertisements
Advertisements
I recently started an ICPC case to get my nephews. Just today I received an email starting that I will have to write a statement stating that I am aware of the medical and financial plan of the children and that I agree to the plan. Also, me and my husband have to sign a form that states that as a placement resource we will provide for the means to meet the medical needs of the children. I was also told that I will get medical coverage for the children just during the "period of discharge".
Along with the ICPC I have filed for full physical and sole custody of the children. I was told by the caseworker that once we get full custody of the children me and my husband will be responsible 100% for the children and also for their medical insurance.
This is a big problem for my family. If I don't get financial assistance and medical insurance I don't think I will be able to bring the children with me. My family is financially stable and due to my husband's income we don't qualify for any subsidies ourselves and that's understandable. However, my nephews require a lot of help. Therapy and medical visits every week including medications and tutoring since both kids are very behind on their grades. Further, I will have to immediately have to purchase a minivan in order to transport my children plus my nephews since we will not all fit in my current car. Not to mention all the day to day expenses of food and clothing, etc. I just don't think I will be able to afford all of the extra expenses. Also, my husband is not willing to go forward if the children don't get their own financial assistance.
I'm just wondering if what the caseworker is telling me is completely accurate. Are there any foster or financial benefits that I can receive for the children until they reach the age of adulthood? Also, my plans were never to adopt the children, but rather have them for a period of time until my sister can get them back although she just started saying that she doesn't want her children back - at all. Will I be able to withdraw the custody petition and keep them on the foster system as long as possible in order to continue to receive their financial benefits?
Advertisements
Depending on the state, it may help if you become licensed foster parents. This makes a lot of difference when negotiating subsidies.
Also, some workers don't tell you right away that you will get anything to see what your response is, and what your true motivation is.
Are you planning to adopt, or just taking custody? This also makes a HUGE difference. If you are adopting, you *should* qualify for Medicaid as well as adoption subsidies.
If you are taking custody and guardianship, you would probably be able to get them qualified for Medicaid because it's based on their income alone. If they have any disabilities, (even ADHD) they can qualify for SSI Disability for Children. Considering the therapies they are receiving, this may be likely. It's not a fast process, but in some cases it's more money per month than actual adoption subsidies are.
ETA: I reread your post and see that you are only taking custody. You would most likely have to go the Medicaid and SSI route to get any assistance for them. OR, ask if adoption is on the table. Are there grounds for TPR? You could get your license and foster them and get financial help.
From a permanency perspective, I'm sure they'd rather see the adoption or custody as preferential placement.
It does tend to depend on the state. I can only tell you my experience with my Niece. We are getting absolutely nothing from the state. We were told that we can get a child only TANF grant and medicaid for her. I will try to avoid that, if possible. It will not cost any extra to put her on my insurance and I can feed her. Everything else, we will just have to tighten our belts. If you really can't afford your nephews, tell the case worker. If they have no where else to put them, they will figure out something to help you.