Advertisements
Advertisements
So, after being uber ready to recieve a call for months except for this week because we were expecting a respite in late June, I get a call! I've just had the week from He!! with medical circumstances with my Mom, didn't quite get a full week of summer vacation under my belt, the house is a disaster, I've been gone ALL day, and had just settled into my bubble bath enough to say AHHhhh....when the call came. First from our worker, then from the worker who had the kiddo's. He have a sibling set 2 yr old boy, and 10 yr old girl (who looks 16) Don't know much about the case yet, but everyone is home and fed and cleaned, and quieting down for the night. Gp's are out of question, another relative (aunt possibly) is out of question. It is up in the air as to how long we may have them, as is usually par for the course I'm sure. What a week.
2 yr old looks healthy, but has some bruises on his face and upper thighs, 10 yr old is worried and has upset tummy (hasn't eaten since noon, but is munching on cheese its now).
Very vague circumstances. Apparently they are used to being left with random people, boy is happy to hang with my hubby, gal loves my 17 yr old. They have no structured routine, she says they usually stay up until midnight or 1am and sleep til noon. That won't fly in this active house-I'm sure we will have woken them well before 8am tomorrow with goings on of showers and breakfast and coming and goings. I feel like a week of getting up to our schedule will have them turning in much earlier.
I can't believe how fast this happened. whew!
On the old site like 250 people would have viewed this by now-what up?
I'm gonna post just in case somebody see's and can reply.
Our first placement of 2 and 10 haven't been so bad, 10 yr old is more like a teen. They have been removed before. Still don't know much. Case plan mtg is tomorrow morning. Caseworkers seem to think they will be with us for a while. Mom doesn't want kids immunized, or any labwork done. Two week time frame to get all medical appts done, but we don't have insurance info yet at the 10 day mark. They are used to staying up til 1 am and sleeping til noon. Being tired has been the hardest part so far. That and my 7 yr old son is being a butt about sharing his things with the 2 yr old. I sure wish I knew where everyone went on here. I've been trying to post multiple place so I can get some kind of response.
We are foster/adopt home...but worry that our very first case will be one that we have to decide on right off the bat.
Advertisements
How soon do you normally need to give them an answer? WIth our foster (turned adopted) kids, we were asked right before TPR was submitted. Of course, we talked about it before then, so no time was needed to think about our answer. :)
I too can remember where I was when the call came, doing normal everyday things not even wishing for the phone to ring. It never seems to ring when everything is going well and the house is all in order.
Glad to hear things are going and I hope you get the sleep situation figured out. Lack of sleep is our biggest decider of attitudes around here.
Well, things seem a little more promising for Mom to work a plan. She was completely MIA for more than the first week. They found her, and finally got a clean drug screen so she could have a visit with the kids. She had court and her first visit last Thursday, where she told 10 yr old it would be 30 days before they go back to her. I happen to know her return court date is end of August. The kids won't get returned even before her next court date will they? Caseworkers were hinting they would probably be with us for about 6mo, and even explained what paperwork to hold on to so that we could claim them on our taxes.
I started talking about back to school and things- 10 yr old said "Oh mom will take care of that cause we are only gonna be here 30 days" I wonder if mom actually said 90 and she is just remembering it wrong? I don't know the history of promise making/keeping with their Mom. I hope this isn't the beggining of a pattern, if she did say only 30 days.
They are good kids mostly-a product of their environment with bad habits. Two year old takes everything away from 10 yr old and she just gives it. Mom has always made her to quiet down the baby...or to prevent from having to fix something for him herself (according to 10 yr old) Lets call them ROcket Girl and Bouncy Boy.
I met Mom at case plan meeting. She couldn't sit still. I still don't have reason of removal on paper anyway...its obvious that its at least drug related. Rocket girls hair was cut by Mom with school scissors the day they were removed, there is a full section cut down to the scalp on one side, just above the ear. It has also been home colored that has grown out quite a bit. She is asian/caucasian so the dyed color doesn't look very good with her skin tone. We are stuck with it until we get a little farther.
I don't think I'm as worried as I was about being asked to adopt our first placement anymore. I feel like she'll get them back, but I also feel like this won't be the last time they are removed.These are of course my initial inexperienced opinions. We are still working on getting appointments set up for initial visits. I also believe we will be getting a therapist for Rocket girl-especially if Mom has let her down on how long they will be here. Bouncy boy's Dad is in local jail for a variety of charges, don't know how long he will be there, but do worry about him trying to find us if/when he gets out. Seems to be a rather violent unpredicatable guy. All that being said, our day to day is falling into place somewhat, as much as it can, until we know more.
I have been asked to write up a little note about the goings on of the week and send it in with the kids for visit days, as well as pictures of things we have done. Rocket girl is helping with that. Thats about all I know right now.