Advertisements
Advertisements
I felt like starting a thread and thought maybe a thankful for thread would be good. We used to do these back in the day and they went over pretty well.
So I'm thankful for... getting home safe on Saturday. I went to the Black Hills and did a training for the police department in Sturgis. (yes that Sturgis) I went hiking the next day on one of my favorite trails. It was cloudy and thundering, but I wasn't concerned. Well the dogs were, so we turned around. It was sprinkling when we got in the car. I drove out of the mountain onto the main road and it was raining by then. We got a little further south and it was raining so hard I couldn't see. We got further south to a town called Hill City and it was raining so hard and the water was running so fast I almost thought we'd get swept away. We got out of town ok. Went and saw Mt. Rushmore and then we went bead shopping. Well I went bead shopping and the dogs waited for me, haha.
Who's next?
Advertisements
I'll give it a shot :)
I'm thankful that my new severely elderly "boyfriend" is settling in well. :) It's not usually a good idea to relocate someone so old (we are pretty sure he is 98, not sure, no real birth records to be found... yet) But it seems to be a good move for him.
I'm thankful I get to know him and talk to him everyday now. What a treasure he is, what powerful and interesting stories he has. I have never met anyone like him, ever. Never have I met anyone so wise about the world and the people in it.
I am thankful I was able to help him out of a hard spot and to have the means to help his last days be much more pleasurable.
He has endured so much, things no one ever deserves to face. He's had it very hard his entire life in every way imaginable. He stands strong today.
I am thankful I can help to make things easier for him now. I am thankful and happy that he lets me.
Knowing him has helped me more than I could ever explain, I could never repay what he's given me with his wisdom, honesty and sincere friendship.
I have only known him for a very short while, and we likely won't have him for very long, very thankful just to know him at all.
Belle, glad you were okay! Sounds like a scene from an adventure move. Do you make jewelry with your beads? Beth, that's so great that he is settling in and you have each other. :)
This week I'm thankful that I get quality time this with my favorite kids. My siblings are meeting me halfway between Arizona and here for a cousin's wedding with their caravan of carseats and coloring books. I haven't seen them since Christmas. These are the same kids that up until I moved had regular slumber parties at my home on the weekends making our epic home videos and playing games, dollar store shopping sprees, art lessons, hang out at their sporting games or recitals, had water balloon fights and laughed until we cried at our crazy dance parties, ETC.. I need to kiss their cheeks and tell them how great they all are and treasure every second with them. It will fill my soul until I can see them again.
Thanks for the question Belle, I'm even more excited to see my little best friends now! :)
Last update on June 9, 11:23 am by Adoption Admin.
1 Liked
 likes this.
I'm thankful for my friends here - honestly, my life would be pretty lonely at times, even though I'm not thankful I got sick in the first place - but you all have helped me by talking to me, to learn to communicate again, and put up with my journey and self doubts when I talk...
How's that for a thankful, not thankful, but still thankful - response...
Beth - I think it's the era - dad would be 100 now....that kind of wisdom is mostly missing in society today, instead its a I want it all and want it now and will not have to struggle to survive life society - what wisdom can be learned from living that life...
D
Beth - the wisdom from older folks is priceless. Smart people know how to take that and turn it into help for themselves.
Spud - enjoy the littles!
Dickons - I'm thankful that I met you and could be around to "help" you. You've helped me more than I could ever do for you!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
It is priceless.
Today, to my horror, I learned that there is such a thing as bacon flavored bologna.
But when a 98 year old man wants bacon flavored bologna, which has been a staple food for him for many years...
You buy lots of bacon flavored bologna, no matter what the other "wise" people say :).
The amount of bacon flavored stuff out there is crazy Beth. I didn't realize that everything needed to be bacon flavored either. I was looking at sunflower seeds and those come in bacon flavor these days too.
This morning I'm thankful for the start of a new week, I think, haha. It was a busy weekend around these here parts and I have plenty of irons in the fire at work and at home. So it was time for a sorta clean slate!
Someone else!
I'm not on so much right now, so I just saw this thread.
I'm thankful for my former foster daughter's grandmother, who still allows and encourages me to be part of her life.
I'm thankful for my parents, who took my son for the weekend to give me a break, but I'm also very thankful that he's home now.
I've applied for a new job, and I'm both excited and hopeful, but I am also very happy in/ loving my current job, so I'm in the enviable spot of having two very good potential outcomes. I get up in the morning enthusiastic to go to work (okay, I really get up groggy and cranky, but once I've poured coffee down my throat I'm enthusiastic).
I think I've reached a point, at least for the moment, that I'm pretty happy with my life in general. Even the things I wish were different are things I've found peace with.
I'm Also thankful for all of you, especially those who have different understandings than I do. You Make me a better parent, person, and (since I work with lots of kids who are adopted or in foster care) a better therapist.
Advertisements
Ruth .I'm thankful that you are willing to truly hear us and realize that adoption is complex and multi layered.
I'm thankful for a great vacation this week, even though we had to come home a day early.
I'm thankful for my new patio which was a gift from my folks.
I'm thankful I live in a beautiful place where I can go from high prairie to mountains in three hours!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hi everyone. First, I'm thankful that so many of you are still here! These forums are so important to me because I get to hear from all of you and get your perspective. I Wouldn't be coming back here if it weren't for all of you and I'd be so sad to lose this space.
I'm also thankful that it's summer break and that Sweetpea's healthy and happy.
I'm also in a new relationship which has been great. He hasn't met Sweetpea yet and there's no pressure. I'm just taking it day by day and seeing where it goes. I've dated a little bit (not much but a little) since being a mom but this is the first real relationship so it's different.
I hope I can be here on a.com more often during the summer.
Leeah,
Good to see you! I'm thankful for this space too, because it gives me the adoptive parent perspective when it I need it.
Today I'm thankful for my mom and dad. They VERY generously paid for a new patio on my house. I have this beautiful outdoor space now with some plants and my chimnea. The dogs are absolutely loving it. We also acquired the lot to the south of us. We haven't decided yet what we are going to do with it, maybe get a new house and put it across the lots, but I'm excited to have that too. It means a crappy trailer won't move in next to us with sketchy neighbors. Everyone needs a place to live, I just don't enjoy having people who cook meth living next to me.
1 Liked
 likes this.
I'm thankful it is Friday today. I love my work, but holy man it has felt like a week of Mondays.
I'm thankful to be seeing Kiddo next weekend. We are taking him and my step son (whose 20th bday is next weekend) to lunch, the zoo, and a baseball game. The next day we are doing another game with just my stepson. We have to drive about 2 hours to do that stuff, so we usually do more than just a day outing. Mom and Dad are meeting us for lunch and the zoo.
I think we will also have Kiddo for a week in August. Hopefully anyway. His mom is the worst about getting back to me about anything and then can't believe my calendar filled up. Yep, people who aren't parenting have lives too, lol.
Ok... who else is thankful for something?
Advertisements
I'm thankful they moved my team here at Adoption.com to an office with windows.
In general, I crave time outdoors. It is my mental health insurance. So even though I'm inside, seeing the effects of not burning calories at a desk job, I was able to see this morning's raindrops transform to afternoon's blue skies.
....If it stays this way, I might have to lay by the river and read this weekend :)
Belle, I'm excited that you get time with your sons! Sounds like you have some fun plans. I'm sure they are really looking forward to it :)
Last update on July 10, 2:53 pm by Adoption Admin.
I'm thankful I got to spend some time with my son this weekend. He's a good kid, even if visits are challenging.
Next month I will have him for ten days. That promises to be interesting.
I'm thankful for volunteers who want to help us move the shelter! It is a big change and I'm excited and scared all at once.