Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all,
I have been lurking around these forums for a few years, and when I went to create an account, it seems I already had one since 2006. Well, DH and I have been talking about adopting a sibling group from foster care for a few years now. It never seemed like the right time (I wanted to get my degree) or the process seemed intimidating and daunting. Well, we've been talking about it a little, -er a lot more the last couple of years. It seems we like we're as ready as we're going to be and we're excited to have a family. We don't have any Biological Parent kids and the plan has always been adoption. I would love to adopt a sibling group and complete our family. Well, a few months ago a little boy joined my classroom and I found out that his Biological Parent's parental rights had just been terminated. Today, I got up the nerve to talk with the foster mom about it, asking what the plan was for him. She said that she wasn't sure, but that he has 2 younger sibs who are in another foster home. The foster mom gave me the number of his adoption worker and said to get a hold of her. I'm going to call her tomorrow to make an appt. What sorts of questions should we ask at the appt? I want to make sure that we're really informed about this. Foster mom said that the process could get sped up quite considerably if we were interested in adopting them.
Any help, suggestions or similar stories are appreciated!
Many thanks.
Last update on June 22, 11:35 pm by Lola2007.
Advertisements
Do not be surprised if the social worker does not call you back. It just means that he/she is busy with some crisis.
In order to be considered as an adoptive/foster parent, you first need to complete the required classes and home study.
See if you can find an adoption agency in your state which will enroll you in the required classes and do your home study. Look online and call a few. Tell them that you are interested in adopting a sibling group from foster care. Usually there is no cost to you. They do this as a contract service and are reimbursed by the state.
If you cannot find an agency, contact the Department of Children and Families in your state directly to get enrolled in the classes and arrange for a home study. Don't be surprised if they are very slow to respond.
Once you have completed the classes and home study, then have your family worker call the child's social worker. The social worker will want to review your home study to see if you are a good match for the sibling group.
Hope this helps to get you started. Best wishes.