Advertisements
Advertisements
After reading this article, I wondered if anyone else felt similar to this author. Rachel Dolezal has been a hot topic lately and her words maybe giving the adoption community a not so good light. What do you think? How can the adoption community separate themselves from the many things that are misrepresented about them?
I know this is late but I've been having computer issues. This is touch. I'm a black woman and I don't consider Rachel Dolezal transracial. She gave up her white "race" and took on the black "race". (Can't think of how to word it). I put race in quotes because race is man made, it's not natural. So technically, she took up the cause for equality for all.
Advertisements
Here are my thoughts on Rachel Dolezal:
1: She is nothing more than a phony, a fraud , and a liar.
2: She is Black when it is convenient and White when it is convenient--evidenced by the fact that she sued HU for discriminating against her because she is White.
3: This woman took great pains and put major effort into DISGUISING herself as a Black woman. She installed weaves in her own hair to further the illusion of her Blackness. If she left her hair in it's natural state she would look like just what she is- a White woman. If she went to a stylist familiar with Black hair and doing weaves her secret wouldn't be a secret anymore.
4:Do we even need to discuss the fact that she is under investigation for fabricating and falsely reporting being the victim of 8 or 9 hate crimes? She did that all in an effort to further 'legitimize' the illusion that she is Black.
The worst thing about this is that in the future when people truly are the victim of a hate crime, they might fear they may be under excessive scrutiny and may not be believed when they report it. Much like women who falsely accuse men of rape and then are exposed as having lied. That makes it harder for women who truly are raped to feel comfortable reporting it---because they are afraid of not being believed. People often think 'this first woman lied about being raped-maybe this woman is lying about being raped too'. Many times rapes go unreported because a woman is afraid of not being believed.
5: her statement that she ' had to go there with the experience' because she couldn't be a White woman and parent Black men was more than infuriating and offensive to me. I have two sons who are Black--they know exactly who they are and have a healthy sense of their own racial identity.
6: I think it is rotten that she is using her children as scapegoats for her living a lie--she is implying that she had to pretend to be Black because as a White woman she couldn't properly raise two Black men with a healthy sense of self and a healthy connection to their race. There are plenty of people on these forums who are raising children of a different race successfully. I call BS on her assertion that in order to properly raise a child of a certain race you have to be of the same race. Utter crap.
7: IMO she is in need of extensive therapy. I think she has put such great effort into living this false identity for so long she believes her own lies. She doesn't know the truth anymore. It's almost like she has brainwashed herself into believing her own convoluted and manufactured existence as a Black woman. She has lost everything because of the lies she has told- lost her position on the police oversight committee, lost her position at the NAACP, lost her job----but when she appeared on the Today show she was asked if she would do anything differently and she said "No". That to me just reinforces the idea that she has a seriously flawed pattern of thought.