Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi-
I am 26 years old and currently have two siblings much younger than me that are recently being adopted in an open adoption, however, the state of Rhode Island is saying that biological siblings/ half siblings do not have any rights, and that visitation and relationships are based on the adopted family.
I have been a huge and I mean HUGE role in my sister, who just turned 6 years old, and my brother who will be 3 is Nov. They were recently placed with a family member who did not have the time nor the patience to deal with them. There children were older and were very much involved with sports. Which I understand is very important for them, as their lives have been changed with them being in.
My siblings have moved in with a first time foster family, that are unable to have children. So this is all new to them..
I guess what I am asking, is what rights do I have as being their sibling? I'm being told that they don't have anything and that's why it couldn't be written in the agreement that my mother signed during the agreement. It was said in open court, by the judge that, the foster family is interested in keeping the communicate btwn me and my siblings open. But I would like more than just there word. It has been making me wonder how many other families are in the situation that I am currently in. Why isn't there a sibling law, there is a grandparents law. Maybe creating a sibling law for all states would be something I should look in to.
Thank you
Advertisements
Here is my situation:
I was placed for adoption when I was a newborn. I found out when I was 17 that I had to little brothers. One had been placed for adoption when he was 8 (he is currently 17) and was adopted by our uncle (my birth uncle) my other little brother is currently 9 and he is in the foster care program. Because it is an open adoption situation I am still their sibling. I will always be their sibling.
-- J,Babe
Abigail;
How is Life Today please??
Also, in answer to your question. It sounds or it sounded like you originally pursued ' Adoption ' of your Sister and Brother.??
If the Kids were removed, you would ' Qualify for Kinship Placement ' , but you would still need a Home Study like everyone else who Adopts.
As part of the Home Study, you would need to Financially and Emotionally proove to the State. That you are able to raise your Brother and Sister.
It's not just about ' the Love and Happiness Component. '
If the ' relationship component ' did not happen period?? I would definitely contact a Family Law Attorney and pursue Visitation or at least find out how your brother and your sister are??
' Keep The Faith ' !!!
Juli