Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone!
We currently have one FS age 6, who has been with us since December. At the time we got him, we were unaware that he had two older sisters who were placed in another foster home. Since this discovery, we have been trying to have the girls transition to our home so they can all be together with the support and assistance of our social worker. There have been a few road blocks (younger sister did not transition well to her new school, behavioral issues, etc) but we are all now ready to transition them to our home and have them living with us by the end of summer.
My husband and both bought new cars earlier this year and we do not have room for the 3 foster kids and our own daughter (in a toddler car seat!) in one car!!! While we were doing visits with them earlier this year, we just took two cars.Obviously, that's not ideal long term. We will have them in our home at least until their next court date in November.
How do big families do it?
Thanks for your help!
Advertisements
Time for a mini van or large SUV! :-)
We have an GMC Acadia and love it. (I'm not the mini van type.) My friend has a Chrysler Town and Country mini and loves it.
I recommend trying a few different out to see what fits you best.
We bought a 1993 Suburban SUV last summer and really like it. It has seat belts for 9 and is a former farm truck so we don't have so worry about wrecking it. I think it will be less convenient if we need to fill every seat (minus the one in the front middle) because of how hard it is to get to the back row. Right now we have it set up like a mini van with two toddlers in the back and one in the middle row.
Pros- big gas tank
- good gas millage (for an SUV)
- adults can climb in it to buckle seat belts
- lots of elbow room
- really good air conditioner :)
- big seat belts for bigger people and car seats
Cons- takes a long time to fill at the gas station
- gas tank is at the very back so it can be hard to get close enough to the pump
- 3rd seat in the middle row makes it hard to climb in back
- regular doors not sliders on the side
- back passenger windows don't open
I wanted to jump from the 5 passenger car to the 15. The 9 passenger SUV was our compromise.
I have a 2008 Town and Country. It fits seven people but the 3 in the last row really have to be small people. I doubt you could fit 3 car seats across. I have never tried. The two middle seats however are great. Mileage is pretty good for a huge minivan and it drives well. I'm currently really POed because there's a recall for my car (apparently the engine turns off by itself in the middle of driving) and I cannot get an appointment to fix it for another 2 weeks, even though I tried to get one earlier. Well, yesterday, it actually happened to me and all of a sudden, the dealer can take me on Monday. Imagine that! All it took is for me to threaten litigation. This is a very dangerous thing to have happened on a main street. Can you imagine if it had happened on a highway?
I agree with the town and country mini van. Heck I'm a single woman in the process of becoming licensed and I bought one. Mostly because I have 2 medium sized dogs and a cat and it would have been impossible to transport them and a placement on my little ford focus during one trip. And I've wanted a van for years. Thought about the whole SUV thing, but a minivan offers a lot more space and I didn't want to have too worry about kids opening doors too widely and dining other people's cars. It took one weekend babysitting my nieces in a borrowed Buick enclave to realize the joy of sliding doors, lol.
Also the town and countrys stow and go seating decided me. Its not as comfy as the odyssey, but makes the van so much more usable.
Ive only had mine a month and have already built a deck in the backyard and was able to use the van to transport everything. It was also fun on a road trip with all the bells and whistles they come standard. Mine is a 2014 former rental car and it was a pretty good deal.
Ita with the pp about the 2008 model year. That's a dangerous defect, thankfully I havent seen any reviews complaining about it in subsequent model years.
Last update on June 29, 8:44 pm by Lunalily.
Advertisements