Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello there. My husband and I are beginning this exciting adventure into the fostering world with the intent to adopt when the opportunity arises. We are almost finished with our home study and will be ready around August. The age range we have decided to care for is 0-5, up to 2 children. I have started gathering children's books, a few outfits in each gender, and size range, some toys, movies, and children's music. I am going to keep a few shower bags handy with items for everyday hygiene. What are some other things to have on hand to make the first day or two transition well? I know it is impossible to gather up everything we would need in advance, but I want to be somewhat prepared for when our first placement arrives.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Diapers and wipes! If I didn't already have a daughter who was 2 yrs old, when I received a call for a 1.5 yr old...I wouldn't have been ready. the 1.5 yr old showed up poopy, in clothes that reeked of cigarette smoke and were waaaayyy too big (size 4t on a 1 yr old!) I was able to quickly change her into my daughter's clothes (just until my husband came home so I could run to the store and buy her her own things!)
also maybe some sippy cups, kids plasticware, bottles, ....formula...
even a potty chair. Also do you already have a crib or toddler bed set up?? age 0-2 yrs they expect a crib or toddler bed...a regular twin bed is frowned upon....
Advertisements