Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I'll attempt to be brief.
I want to know if an infant my wife and I may potentially adopt requires her own room, or if she can sleep in a crib in the same room as us. And, if so, at what age is this no longer acceptable? Is the state even allowed to dictate that after a finalized adoption? If possible, please provide links to relevant resources.
Any other information I haven't requested that you can provide based on the details below would be appreciated.
Details I find important:
- We currently live in Wisconsin, but will probably move to Minnesota
- The infant currently lives in Wisconsin
- If we lived in a 1 bedroom, it'd be about 750 square feet
- We'll have enough money to care for the child (but would like to save where possible, buying a house is the shortish term goal)
- The infant girl is currently only a few months old
- This would be an intrafamily adoption (my wife is the mothers half sister)
- If the adoption were to occur, the parental rights of the biological mother would have been forcibly terminated
I spent a good deal of time looking for information, but could not find a definitive answer to my question as it relates to Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Let me know if any other information would be useful.
~Justin
Last update on June 30, 5:37 pm by Justin Marsh.
Advertisements
Rules for ICPC (adopting across state lines) follow the rules of the sending state; that is the state the baby is in now. You find those requirements at the dept of children;;s and families in that state
Hey Wcurry,
Thanks for that tidbit of information! I didn't find anything in a brief initial search based on the information you gave. I'll give it a more thorough check in the next day or two.
If anyone else has any additional information, please do share!
~Justin
Rereading your situation - there is no ICPC involved until you move. You are better off finalizing when you are both in the same state. If the child is NOT in foster care and its kinship, no one is going to care about sleeping arrangements
If the child IS in foster care, this is the agency you'll be working with
Someone there can answer your questions
I will say - every state that i'm aware of will let infants share a room with parents. Once finalized, there are no room requirements
best of luck to you
Advertisements
Hey Wcurry,
Thanks for the further input! It sounds about like I thought. I'll check out the resources you gave me.
~Justin