Advertisements
Advertisements
We got our TPR hearing set for the end of this summer for our 2 little ones (that would bring us to the 1 year mark). We're so excited! BM has a history with DCFS and all of her kids went to adoption. But now that TPR has been set, BM is now working her plan. She said she wants to complete almost every thing before the TPR hearing. Will this affect TPR? My FS has been in foster care for 2 years and has been moved around to different family members. BM even got him back but then he got taken away again (not sure how long they were reunified for). FS was placed with us after family members weren't stepping forward and/or were not approved. His baby sister joined us soon after. I know this has been asked many times but the "search" feature doesn't really work anymore in the forums. Can reunification still happen if she works her plan? Supervised visits are still minimal (1-2 a month/1 hour) and a few calls. BD is in/out of jail and hasn't done anything. I'm so nervous because we're so close (but yet so far).
Advertisements
it completely normal that BPs work the plan at the last minute (mine did as well). In general, judges and lawyers in family court know this and will look at the totality of their actions.
Exact outcome is based in a bunch of factors:
* your state's laws
* the particular judge
* reports from CWs, CASA, and GALs
* what behavior changed (did they get a job and keep it, with a nice letter send from their boss.. Plus get an apartment...or did they remember to show up on time for their monthly visit?)
* Are they acting like a changed person (many judges oversee a case from end to end.. they can tell whether someone is taking accountability or still blaming everyone else. are they saying what they think he wants to hear? or being sincere? do they seem to be focused on whats best for the child? or only themselves?)
Based on all of the above and more, the court will either push for mediation, approve TPR, or they may rul for an extension for the BP to continue to work their plan. Rarely do they rule for RU outright.
Hang in there
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hearing got continued to end of Sept and then got continued to end of Oct. The BM wants to reinstate her services but kids attorney is contesting it. It never ends!
Last update on October 13, 2:00 pm by Blessed05.
Hoping when the end of October comes, that there are NO MORE continuances and it will finally end!
I am not as far in the process as you...but believe me I am taking one day at a time and wishing everything was farther along. I love these kids so much. I will go to the park and watch them play and find myself crying and praying that I get to keep them. the Bio parents are not working ANY PART of their plan. It just isn't fair to make kids linger like this. Life is really short and fast (especially childhood)-- and if parents are not working their plan in the first few months, legal things should happen a lot quicker!!!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I've been asked to complete a Caregiver Information form before the hearing. I hope that helps. The kids' attorney and CW both want us to adopt the children. It's all in the Judge's hand. I really hope they decide on the best interest of the children. We love them both so much!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements