Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm new here. I'm a high school teacher with a student who will soon graduate (1 year). Very good kid, 17, extremely smart. He is gay and his family is very unsupportive. He says he knows his mother would throw him out if he told her the truth. He is miserable at home and has no other place to go. I don't want him to end up working full-time without a college degree just to support his own place. He could also not afford college expenses in that regard. Is it bizarre that I would like to have him come live with my husband, myself and 6 year old child after he graduates while he's in college? He feels like a son to me, and has expressed so much gratitude for being supportive of him. I just want him to be with people who will accept him and where he is safe.
Thanks for looking out for the LGBT kids (or at least one). He's correct - the statistics around homeless queer kids are pretty horrible. Many of us in the LGBT community spend a good deal of our adult years forging families of choice, as a result
That said - you can't adopt (or even get guardianship) without his parent's permission. His parent's aren't going to give their child away without him coming out
He has a lot of options..
1) he can hang in there for ONE more year - or at least until he graduates
1a) once he is out of the house, he'll have a level of privacy.. and freedom to be who he is (that he doesn't have when sharing roof with his parents)
1b) when he is financially independent, he can tell them exactly who he is. he might be surprised.. look, even Dick Cheney evolved when he daughter came out. Heck, I KNEW my dad would reject me when i came out. I was leading a national queer organization (a google search of my name would have been all it took) and i still couldn't bring myself to saying the words to my dad. In the end, it turned out ok.
But, even if his parents can't accept him - he won't be at risk of being homeless, thanks to you
2) come out now - knowing he can come to you if they kick him out.that is wonderful.. he has a option many other kids didn't have. this one has risks.. they can choose to parent the gay out of him - whether that means
* grounding him
* banning him from his friends
* ex-gay camps
* mental health facilities
* church prayer circles
* moving him to a distant relative
3) run away - but since his safest place is in the same town, the police will likely find him and bring him home. see option 2
If I was in your shoes, I'd be an ally.. let him have an adult to talk to. Be there to catch him when he falls, but recommend he wait it out.. jut a little longer.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I'm new here. I'm a high school teacher with a student who will soon graduate (1 year). Very good kid, 17, extremely smart. He is gay and his family is very unsupportive. He says he knows his mother would throw him out if he told her the truth. He is miserable at home and has no other place to go. I don't want him to end up working full-time without a college degree just to support his own place. He could also not afford college expenses in that regard. Is it bizarre that I would like to have him come live with my husband, myself and 6 year old child after he graduates while he's in college? He feels like a son to me, and has expressed so much gratitude for being supportive of him. I just want him to be with people who will accept him and where he is safe.
Thank you for looking out for this young man. As soon as he turns 18, he can come live with you -- his parents don't have to give their approval.
1 Liked
 likes this.