Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I know someone who is looking to foster or adopt a child. She and her partner currently have a 4-year-old biological daughter in the Bay Area. I think she is looking to foster, and then adopt an additional child who is under 4.
I am aware that there are a lot of factors that adoption agencies and foster care take into consideration when deciding whether or not to place a child.
1) How important would it be for the adopted or foster child to have his or her own room (separate from the 4-year-old's room)?
2) She and her partner are currently renting two rooms in a 4 bedroom house. Two of the other rooms are being rented to folks who are unrelated to their family. Would it improve her chances of getting a foster or adoptive child placed with her if there were only family members living in the house?
Thanks so much!
Kara
Advertisements
It's my understanding that two kids of different genders can share a room if both are under the age of 5-years old. If they are older, they have to be the same gender to share a room. I was told this information in class last Nov and have recently confirmed it with the Resource counselor who approves the house, as we are about to get our 1st placement.
It's my guess that if the paperwork and 1st placement will be complete a while before the either child turns 5-years old, they may place the opposite gender with you and then appeal to the judge to let them stay until a possible adoption is looked into.
Hope that helps!
Be aware that any people over 18 years old, living in the same house with the adoptive parent(s), will have to be fingerprinted and have background checks, in most states. It doesn't matter whether the people are relatives, friends, boarders renting rooms, etc. This will generally apply as long as the adoptive family and the other people share common rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms or living rooms, do not have separate entrances from the outside, and do not have doors that lock to completely separate the family's living quarters from those of the other people in the home. Please understand that this requirement is not just a bureaucratic thing; it is designed to keep a child from being abused by a person in the home. And family members, alas, can be abusers, just as non-relatives can.
In general, most states don't care if two children room together, as long as the room meets local size requirements, has windows, and is large enough to let each child have separate storage space, such as a closet and/or dresser. Most states do require kids of opposite genders to have separate bedrooms after a certain age, typically (but not always) age five. You may find that some social workers oppose bunk beds for children below a certain age, because of the risk of falls.
Sharon
I am a foster parent in the Bay Area. Like everyone already stated above, its fine to have a 4 yr old share a room with a child of the same gender (when they reach age 5). A child needs to be at least 5 yrs old to sleep on the upper bunk of a bunk bed.
Sharing a room is not frowned upon...I am more concerned with having non-family renters in the same abode.
I work for an FFA (more personal attention and easier stream-lined home study process vs. the county).
I think the family's chances are very good, but you would have to get everyone in the home on board (as their lives will be affected too and they need to be fingerprinted also).
It is an unusual situation but I think it shouldn't be a problem to get approved.