Advertisements
Advertisements
Looking for two siblings that were also given up for adoption. Birth name was Monroe Lee Mason, born about 1955 in Los Angles Calif. Birth name was Colleen Ledford, born 1950 in Calif., may have been placed for adoption in Missouri. The birth mother has been located but is now deceased, her name was Carmelita Mason, she had three children that were given up for adoption. Many years ago I was contacted (info was sent to me anonymously) and I was told that Monroe Lee Mason's adopted name is James H Hulen with a birthdate of 1-27-1955 along with a social security number, but I have no idea if this information is correct. I have checked the birth index for 1955, but there is no Mason baby listed, although I do find and entry for a James Hulen. Does anyone know if the birth index list both names the birth and the adopted name? I was told that Colleen was born in Calif. but was taken by the state of Missouri.
Hi Debbie:
The birth index only lists the adopted name. It comes directly from the birth certificate and in the case of adoptees, it comes from the 2nd birth certificate with the 1st one being suppressed and sealed.
Terri England
Adoption Angel
Advertisements
Are you referring to the online California Birth Index:
My adoptive name is NOT listed there, although my birth name is. My younger brother is listed under both his birth AND adoptive names.
I'm not sure why the difference, except perhaps that I was first adopted as a toddler, while he was still an infant ..... ?
I was referring to any online CA birth index. A clerk somewhere made an error with you and your brother's records because your real names should have been removed and replaced by your adopted names. You are so, so lucky!
Have you ordered the complete birth certificate for the real names? What do they say?
Terri
Records are sealed in California, but I've always known the identities of my birth parents.
Sure wish I could get my hands on the OBC, though.
Hi Angry:
Yeah, I know. I'm an adoption angel and I know CA likes to keep things under wraps. Still, some adoptees in some states have had luck with getting their original birth certificate by requesting it in their original name and signing the application as such, supplying the names of the appropriate birth parents, etc. as is needed on the form. Sometimes a clerk will actually pull it and send it to you. It's the luck of the draw.
Terri England
Adoption Angel
Advertisements
Hi Angry:
Yeah, I know. I'm an adoption angel and I know CA likes to keep things under wraps. Still, some adoptees in some states have had luck with getting their original birth certificate by requesting it in their original name and signing the application as such, supplying the names of the appropriate birth parents, etc. as is needed on the form. Sometimes a clerk will actually pull it and send it to you. It's the luck of the draw.
Terri England
Adoption Angel
Sorry, OP, about the thread hijack.
I haven't heard of this working, but I'll definitely give it a try.