Advertisements
Advertisements
Now that the site is getting back to normal after the invasion last weekend....I need a happy thread hearing from all my very different friends on the entire forum...
Tell me: What are you doing this summer? What's new? Anything you want to talk about?
Cheers!
Dickons
1 Liked
 likes this.
School ended just after Memorial Day, so I had a couple weeks off before starting to teach summer school. It ends July 31, and I report back to school on August 3rd, so my summer break is already officially over. <*sobs*>
The all-volunteer rescue group I help with was recently cited in national press for placing its 20,000th animal. Woo-hoo!
I had an essay published in an anthology last summer, and was just notified that a second essay has been accepted for a follow-up volume.
In addition, I'm writing a children's book that will be published by Fall -- I'm so excited! (I'm partnering with the local SPCA and a part of the proceeds [if any -- ack!] will be donated to them.)
Still working with various groups to get records opened for ALL adoptees everywhere, and hoping that will happen in my lifetime.
Oh, and I learned to play the ukulele for the school "No-Talent" Show!
Dickons -- thanks so much for your contribution in getting the site de-spammed. I don't know who else is helping, but I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved. It was SOOOOO bad last weekend, and looks 1000% better now.
Advertisements
Congratulations AA! Sorry your summer is basically over. Thank you for helping the animals, 20,000 is huge! I see such terrible stories that just make me wonder how many evil people live on this planet, how can people be so bloody cruel. I've been following the heartbreaking fight to save the rhino's and what terrible, horrible people do to live animals for their horns. What is wrong with people, not just the doers but the consumers as well. I want to punch walls...
I've done nothing compared to you. Spending time with mom when I can, helping her manage stuff, doctors, chores, etc., but it wears me out, if she was closer it'd be better. Kept up the garden but the heat drove me inside so despite all my maintenance, the heat has won.
Cheers!
D
1 Liked
 likes this.
Some of the animals come into rescue because their owners have died or gone into long-term care, but too often they've been abandoned -- left behind when an owner moves, or simply taken somewhere and dumped to survive on their own.
Sharing your life with an animal SHOULD be a lifetime commitment. My longest-lived cat was 19.5 years old when she died, and the majority of my previous pets have lived into their mid-teens. I can't imagine getting rid of one simply because it becomes an inconvenience.
The heat has been fairly bad here as well (with accompanying awful humidity). It almost makes me excited to read about the predicted "mini ice age" that scientists are saying may start in 15 years or so. (I kid, I kid! But I DO like cool weather better than hot.)
Helping your mom is a pretty big deal, and I'm sure she appreciates your assistance. Even though it's tiring now, in the end, I think you'll be glad that you were able to be there when she needed you.
Sorry to monopolize. Anyone else around to share?
1 Liked
 likes this.
I think the spam scared some away - I'm sure they will be back...
Animals are a life-time commitment. Thankfully there are some wonderful souls who will take in senior pets like when mom had to make the hard decision (should have done that before the falls) to find a new home her two dogs. I couldn't take them because we had two and that was the max per the bylaw, found a wonderful couple who took them, and loved them until the end. Poor mom, broke her heart especially as dad had already passed, but they were good to send updates and call to let her know how they were doing.
It's hard becoming the parent to your parent...but yes, it's worth it.
Thanks for keeping me company this afternoon...my eyes have gone buggy and it's time to get my chores done. Have a wonderful week AA...
D
I now live in the UK, so there's isn't a summer per se lol
I was used to 4 months of unbearable heat, but now it's one week tops.
Still, I'm thinking, besides visiting family and friends going to Scotland for some days.
Or somewhere near by just to relax.
And what about you? Any plans?
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Summer is a busy time ffor work, plus we are movingthe shelter so I've been running like a mad woman. I am also doing police trainings for a statewide organization just as an added bonus.
I've been campingonce, hope to get outtto the hills at least once more. I just go back from going to a few baseball games. We took my stop son and son. Kiddo will be spending ten days with us next month. That will be an adventure for sure.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hey Michael,
Sorry for dropping the ball, had to pick and transport bottles and cans to an animal rescue fundraiser, then I helped for a wee bit and then came home and rested.
Where I live we don't usually have unbearable summers either, most do not have air conditioners, this year is (hopefully) an anomaly...extremely hot especially for those not acclimated to heat...
I only had plans to keep up on the yard this summer and hopefully get it a little more to my liking. I am limited in what I can physically do, so I have to do things over time. I'm a gardener at heart and not being able to garden the entire day anymore is hard...
Belle,
So excited for your upcoming plans.
Cheers all,
D
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hi Dickons.
So sorry to hear that you're some how limited in what you can and want to do.
I really hope you can get your your yard more towards of your liking :)
It's wonderful to have a backyard where we feel comfortable and also we can relax.
I no longer have a backyard, but I had one while I was growing. It was so nice to make barbecues and whatnot, playing with my dogs, etc.
My grandma used to plant all kinds of flowers. We had tons of roses and during spring lots of our neighbors were tempted to "take" some with them to their homes :P
Best regards!
Hey Michael,
Sorry for dropping the ball, had to pick and transport bottles and cans to an animal rescue fundraiser, then I helped for a wee bit and then came home and rested.
Where I live we don't usually have unbearable summers either, most do not have air conditioners, this year is (hopefully) an anomaly...extremely hot especially for those not acclimated to heat...
I only had plans to keep up on the yard this summer and hopefully get it a little more to my liking. I am limited in what I can physically do, so I have to do things over time. I'm a gardener at heart and not being able to garden the entire day anymore is hard...
Belle,
So excited for your upcoming plans.
Cheers all,
D
1 Liked
 likes this.
Sounds like everyone is keeping busy and trying to stay cool!
My summer in a nutshell: We went out of town to a cousin's wedding, met up with some family in Yellowstone a few weeks ago and my mother-in-law is in town this week- so we are having fun with her. Besides that, on my off time I've been hosting friends to dinner and spending time with my husband in our hammocks at the park. He was out of town all last week fishing with his brothers in Washington, but I stayed busy putting on a church BBQ and helping put on a baby shower. He brought me home some BEAUTIFUL salmon that I cooked last night and I smothered it with mustard left by my latest couch surfers from Dijon France. :)
Advertisements
We had a good weekend. Kiddo will be coming to spend 10 days with me next month.
Man I looked at that last message and I really shouldn't post from my phone.
I have two tomato plants this year, and some flowers. We got another lot so next summer I might have a small garden.
This week is work and on call this weekend. This is why I make the big bucks, or so says my dad, haha.
Dickons,
I bet your Yellowstone trip as a kid was better than mine. My parents accidentally left me by the side of the road when we all got out of the car to join a small crowd watching a moose and bears. I remember seeing them leave from the little hill I was standing on and running after the car as fast as my little legs could take me. When they finally realized and turned around I was in TEARS and the European hitch hiker my parents had previously picked up was laughing hysterically at this crazy American family. It was pretty traumatic. haha!
My husband and I are 2-ish hours away now, so we have a years pass and really enjoy going. :)
All of your summers sound so great...I'm so glad!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Dickons,
I bet your Yellowstone trip as a kid was better than mine. My parents accidentally left me by the side of the road when we all got out of the car to join a small crowd watching a moose and bears. I remember seeing them leave from the little hill I was standing on and running after the car as fast as my little legs could take me. When they finally realized and turned around I was in TEARS and the European hitch hiker my parents had previously picked up was laughing hysterically at this crazy American family. It was pretty traumatic. haha!
My husband and I are 2-ish hours away now, so we have a years pass and really enjoy going. :)
All of your summers sound so great...I'm so glad!
POOR SPUD - that would have been terrifying - but you will never ever forget it...
D
Advertisements