Advertisements
Advertisements
I am helping a friend try to find her biological family. She was born at the Van Nuys (Los Angeles County, CA) Maternity Hospital and delivered by Dr. Lewis. The maternal names associated with this adoption, are "Dorothy J.Toney" and "Monroe". This was a private adoption facilitated by Dr. Lewis to a LDS family in Arizona. When she had her DNA profiled it revealed she was 85%+ Ashkenazi Jewish. Her adoptive parents have passed and she would like to connect with family members, in part, to discuss some hereditary diseases.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hi Peggy:
My name is Terri and I'm an adoption angel and I did a quick lookup for you on the names you mentioned. I found:
Dorothy Jean Toney was born 23 June 1923. She also went by the name Dot. She has been living many years in Newberry Springs, CA. I'm afraid I have bad news for you -- Dorothy died 1 May 2003 in San Bernardino, CA.
Her parents were Leroy Monroe and Earleene Bozarth and in 1955 she married Thomas Owen McDonald. At some point she also married a Martin Boyajian but I'm not sure when, although I believe it would have been after the McDonald gentleman. My records show that they had two kids (although they may have been his by a previous marriage) Candy and Aja Boyajian.
The last known location for all of them was Rancho Cucamonga, CA, but that may not be the most current address and the information is only as good as the databases I'm using are current. You should call long distance information and double check. Aja has a facebook page so you can at least contact them that way.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Terri England
Advertisements
Hi Terri,
Thanks so much for taking the time to look this up. Very intriguing, especially when you factor in the Monroe part. However, there are some problems with this Dorothy J. Toney, the little information Diana had was that her mother was a "young girl", (most likely unwed) and this Dorothy would have been 36 when Diana was born and 68 when Aja Boyajian was born, so maybe Aja was a stepdaughter. Is it possible that this "young girl" was Dorothy's young daughter and she put false information on Diana's birth certificate?
Also the strong Ashkenazi Jewish DNA profile has to be a clue somewhere. When I uploaded Diana's raw DNA data to Gedmatch almost every match were Eastern European/ Russian Jewish names. Unfortunately, the closest match we have so far is in the 4th cousin range, making it very hard to pin down.
Again, I appreciate your help, this journey has been nothing but one dead end after another, but I am persistent and I don't have the emotional connection to be too disappointed, so I will not give up.
Peggy
Hi Peggy:
You could very well be right. Who knows? It is odd that the Monroe name popped up with this though. I re-reviewed all the DJTs out there and nothing really looks like a fit. I know there is one truth about birth certificates and that is they are extremely likely to be filled with untruths. The lies are always focused at protecting the mother's identity and everyone rallied around her to do so at the expense of the rights (or lack thereof) of the child.
It's surprising to me how common the name Toney is and how often it is pared with Dorothy. Did you and your friend get non-identifying information on the adoption on this? You said she was supposed to be a "young woman" (which is relative) but the non-id info usually gives an age. Given that there are several DJTs to choose from an age would be extremely helpful, even crucial. If it's not in the non-id info I would write the probate judge at the county of adoption and ask them for it. It's not an odd request and I'm pretty sure you'd get a positive answer. It can't hurt to ask and given that you don't have anything else to go on I'd say it's a must.
I work a lot with folks doing their atDNA searching for bio family. I'm afraid 4th cousins is a tough go. Did you have the DNA tested at all 3 providers? Not everyone uploads to Gedmatch. All you need is one good 2nd (fabulous) or even 3rd (just okay) cousin to get you started. 4th? No way.
At any rate, if you have or can get an age and the DJT I outlined matches in any way, I think a contact to Aja via Facebook certainly wouldn't hurt. There's no way she's DJT's daughter...must be a granddaughter or stepgrandaugther or grand niece or something. But young enough not to balk and run from questioning. Since your friend is 3/4 Ashkenazi, then both DJT and the male would have percentages of the Ashkenazi haplogroup..The Boyajian surname is Armenian.
Let me know if you think I can help in any way.
Cheers,
Terri
Hi Terri,
Sorry for such a long gap in communication, but I have been camping without connectivity. I have sent you a "friend" request as I don't want to put this info in a public forum.
Thanks,
Peggy