Advertisements
Advertisements
My boyfriend and I have been together 8 years and we have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months with no luck. The other night we were asked if we can help out his sister who is in jail by taking custody of her almost 1 year old daughter. While we are excited to start a family of our own, we are just struggling with the decision to take her in. We are not prepared in any way with items to care for a 1 year old. We only have 2 weeks to decide and I'm worried that this may put a stop to having a child of our own. I understand this is family. But It's such a big step and life changing. I just don't know what to do. I'm 31 years old. We're stable and very happy together. I just don't know how we can afford to get everything we need in such a short period of time. We are the only family members that can take her, otherwise she goes to foster care through the state. Any advice?
Last update on July 28, 12:56 pm by Randi Lunn.
If we decide to take her, it would be long term. The mother is not stable in having kids. This will be the 3rd one that has been taken away. One is with dad and one is already adopted. I know I'm ready to be a parent and so is my bf. It's just a big step. I'm worried that we just aren't ready for a 1 year old. I know we would be fine. I'm just nervous! It's scary choice to make and I don't wanna make the wrong one.
Advertisements
i second the boundaries recommendation..
its worse with family... i know in my case, the sense of entitlement - the when can they show up, who they can bring, when they can take the kids, how often they can intrude in your life.. all those potential misunderstandings can be annoying to say the least
it make sense also, for you to talk about custody - guardianship? adoption?