Advertisements
Advertisements
My foster license is closed, so I don't have any CPS or FFA contact anymore, but I need some advice....
A friend of a friend has two young children (6 and 3) and is married to an alcoholic. She is in the US on a green card and has no family here. His family is supportive, but several states away. Apparently, the drinking has become a much bigger problem recently, affecting his work and his home life. She has no job, no money. Friends are helping with food, but the husband recently stopped giving her any money at all and friends suspect he is seeing someone else.
Because she is not a citizen, and possibly also because of her culture, she has not contacted any community resources for help. What kind of assistance could she get based on this situation? I don't think the kids are in danger physically and she is a good mom, so it doesn't seem like a hotline call. But if I can help her find help, I want to do that so it doesn't become a hotline call..... Advice? Stay out of it?
Advertisements
Your friend should look into local food banks and women's shelters. She should also be checking with immigrant services and organizations. If nothing else, they should be able to give good advice and point her in the right direction.
Local women's shelter would be her first stop. They should be able to help with all of those things and shouldn't be involving CPS. I wouldn't in that situation.
I'm not sure she's ready to move out... Would the shelter help someone who is living elsewhere? Thank you both for your replies. CPS didn't seem like the way to go....
I would think they would be willing to help, I know our local one would. Of course, if they are like our local, small town shelter, their exact location may be undisclosed for safety reason. However, they have a lot of resources and can point her towards help.
My first thought was WIC, but I'm not sure what all they need to set that up and if she would be able to get it.
I too would suggest looking at immigration stuff. Last thing you want is for her to not be able to stay here and the dad left to take care of the kids.
Advertisements
I would help her. We do outreach work too. A woman doesn't have to be a resident in our shelter to receive help.
The shelter should be able to talk about a U-Visa with her which is specifically for women who have been battered. It helps them maintain or get legal status if they leave an abusive situation.