Advertisements
Advertisements
Regarding trying to foster-to-adopt, what are the benefits of going through a private not-for-profit agency registered with the state, versus just going through the state itself? We're planning to attend an agency's meeting next month (since we're missing this month's) but researching online, I really can't find the reasoning. Is it more training? TIA!
Advertisements
we are with a private agency. They are great to work with. They help us with CPS when they are being, well difficult. A private agency also helps pay for most if not all trainings because they are in house. They are a great "middle man" to have. But some to prefer to work directly with CPS. And our private agency doesn't "lose" our paperwork.
In my area, I belive you must use a private agency. It's really nice having another sw to contact if there's an issue. Although it also makes for more people visiting the child. Some weeks, there have been multiple appointmentsts in a weeks to keep track of. Like the agency Sw, county Sw, Gal, casa come by and visits with parents, and appointments for therapy. It doesn't sound like a lot, and it isnt, but when I think of how many people are involved in a case, it's kinda crazy. But this is my first placement and I've got a great county and agency SW. The county one is always so busy, so if I need something or need insight or advice, I talk to my agency worker. She always answered emails and phone calls and texts really quickly.
I also work for a private foster agency. It does mean that you get the kids the county couldn't place with their foster families... but it also means that you get more support, easier access to training...a social worker on call whenever you have an issue...and I've also heard its more money.
It does mean an extra worker checking in on you 1-2 times a month. But its much easier to give notice if it isn't working out with the kids you have, and they are able to immediately find them a new home and get you a better placement for your family. (I haven't used that last option--I have my original 3 placements...and now we are beginning to move towards adoption.)
Good luck and blessings to you on your journey... if I had to do it over again, I think I would still go through an agency, although it does mean an extra set of eyes looking in on your family-- they do most of the paperwork and footwork for the adoption (if you get that far).
Blessings again!
Last update on October 16, 10:57 pm by J Erd.