Advertisements
Advertisements
Maureen McCauley Evans, M.A. has a very good post at her personal blog that links to her article just published. Please read both the blog post and the article, the risk to adoptees is real. The link in the article to the pediatrics abstract about the risk - also has the full study available for free, top right...
Kind regards,
Dickons
Attachments
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Future Family - everyone is welcome to comment on my posts, whatever their role. I started posting these type of posts in the Adoptee forum instead of the Adoptive Parent forum as some would get upset and say I was trying to stir things up, code for I only want happy, happy, adoption posts - you hate adoption - you meany.
This study was one on domestic infants based on historical timelines adoptees (the infant part is me, not noted in the study) and primarily 87% of the International adoptees were Korean adoptees - all were placed before the age of two. Korea is known for having a wonderful loving group of foster families to care for the babies before they go to other countries. I think it is important recognise that aspect of the study because then you add in the trauma of foster care, older age, multiple placements and it seems to me that it would potentially increase the risk.
There was also another part of the study that was published in separate paper about the mental health - you have to take the time to go over it in-depth but may give you some indicators worth paying attention to. One of the things I like about the study is that there were parent reports, adoptee interviews that asked the same question to the mothers, and best of all, teacher reports. So many studies don't include a 3rd party. I've attached a link to it.
As to finding an adoption competent therapist - interview them and listen to how they view adoption - if they think adoption is wonderful for everyone - run. To many adoptees say they spent years in therapy and their being adopted was never considered to have any ramifications on why they struggled. The good news is there are more and more that are aware.
The not wanting to say anything to your parents is VERY true, how do you tell them that you have hard feelings about being adopted, when they are your 'adoptive' parents? I never said anything to mom and dad - they were/are mom and dad and they adopted me. I think it's good to drop pebbles into conversations now and again that your child can tell that it's okay to tell you that sometimes they are sad about what happened. I'd think you'd have to frame it in a way that suits your child, but giving them permission to talk to you and letting them know you understand there will be complex feelings and that's okay, why you have broad shoulders...did that make sense?
Where everyone is? Who knows - I kind of think once school is back in and winter sets in - they will stop by - in the mean time we need to keep talking...
Kind regards,
Dickons
PS - I'm sure there are more mistakes I can't see - why I seldom post in the evening...too tired...
Last update on September 3, 9:59 pm by Dickons.
Attachments
1 Liked
 likes this.
Great article, thanks for posting! I wish they would have included the suicide rate of the parents as well. That's also a scary number that adoptees and adoptive parents need to be aware of.
I wonder about my mental health a lot, as I went through some tragedy at an early age (Death of my 4 y/o brother when I was 5 y/o). And my psych therapist also thinks I have PTSD from "pre-verbal" time in my life. So far I've been diagnosed with three psychiatric issues. I wonder what the mental health history of my Bfamily is. I feel like I have both sides of the issue, anxiety about my Bparents, and possibly inherited mental issues. All of this is so tough sometimes.