Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I was just licensed on Sept 14 2015, I received my first call
On the 14 th for a 1 yo boy but that fell through.my age group is 0-2 and I am in Essex County . It feels like I've been waiting forever buts it has only been 1 week and 2 day. Do you think I'll be waiting long for this age group....just need some insight
Advertisements
It really depends on your county and what ages they have a hard time finding placements for. Some people get a child immediately and others wait as long as a year before placement. I would take it as a good sign that you have already had 1 call.
2 Liked
and  like this.
I had my first placement the day before my license was officially active. That child went home, and it was over a year before I had another placement (a few calls in between, but children out of my age range or with disabilities I was not able to manage). My second placement went home, and I had a call within a few weeks and was put on hold for a newborn, who ended up not coming into care. It's been 3 months now with no calls (except one desperate "we know it's not your age range, but..." call). It can be really inconsistent, even within the same county. A lot depends on what children you are able to take, but timing/ luck/ coincidence also plays a big role.
I understand what you are saying, but i just don't understand when your preparing for your license they make it seem like they're in such a great need for foster parents, when reality is its a lot of us that are just waiting. I am doing this because i love children and i am unable to give birth so i decided to take this route knowing the ups and downs of it all. so i will continue to wait patiently and will update you guys when i get my first placement...but i would love to hear other stories just to kill time lol
Advertisements
I am new to foster care also. We were licensed on February 3rd this year and already got our first call February 6th. Our age range was 2-7 year olds (because I have 3 bio kids ages 2,4, and 7). I wanted children who would befriend my children and fit in with the toys we have and the activities we already do as a family. Our first call was for a 1.5 yr old girl...and then 3 weeks later her 5 month old brother!!! 3 days after that the 4 yr old sister (finally a kid in our age range!) Both are under my age range!!! and I was "done with babies"...but we were so eager to get started that we just said yes...and we've had them 8 months now and what a blessing they have been to our home!
I live in the SF Bay Area, California.... there are a lot of kids of all ages available in my area..
It probably is a geographical thing.
Also I've heard from social workers that it can be the time of year... holidays (esp. Thanksgiving, Christmas) or even back to school time is a high call volume time...thats when there is a lot of stresses and tension...also teachers tend to notice the marks on children as they get back to school (whats been going on all summer long).
Thanks for the comments and stories guys its really helpful. So i got a call yesterday for a 1yo baby, the cw said this boy is very active and needs lots of attention. I thought all toddlers were "active". He also stated this child had a mark and was possibly being abused from the past foster parents.... so right then and there i said yes yes yes and all i could think of was loving on this little boy. The cw called me back and said well we put this child in a more experienced foster home only because this boy is very "Active" and he need to be watched closely. Of course i was very sad and said okay but my question for you guys is , what does "active" mean? Is this another word for bad ??? I was really confused. I also asked the Cw did the child have some behavioral problems and he said no he is completely healthy with no issues.
I was called for a 8 month old baby and he is wonderful. The CW stated it was short term so I just plan on enjoying him while he is here......
Congratz on your placement. I know you will enjoy your little one. In my area, they have a harder time finding placements for toddlers and newborns and teenagers(in addition to larger sibling groups). I received 2 calls the day after I got my license and both were toddlers.
I was a little intimidated at first, but now I think I love this age. They can get so enthusiastic about everything and can be so affectionate and you can act like a goofball without them being alll, too cool. Sometimes I envy my sister since her kids are 6 and 8 and so much more self-sufficient, but them LO is so much fun right now even if she's sometimes a bit exhausting to keep up with.
Advertisements
Sounded like the original placement comment about "active" could also mean Autism... Autistic kids are constantly moving around and getting into things...also frequently banging on things, or trying to escape the home. I have a 7 yr old autistic child who is always moving around and frequently bangs or breaks things...it helps that he is blind-- he doesn't successfully escape as often as other children I've seen.
Many blessings on your new placement!
The 3 siblings I got were all "emergency placements".... and now I've been informed my county worker is changing their plan to adoption! I hope the court concedes on our court date in November.
@J Erd s had no idea what this CW was trying to insinuate but he must have known that the situation was not for me.....
@Lunalily Thanks so much this little man is so adorable its so hard to keep my emotions at bay. The CW says this is short-term but the mom is locked up and she is only 18 yo so Im not sure how this is looking.
Hello everyone, I just want to let you know my little bear went with a relative and now I am impatiently waiting on the next munchkin. I do want to say this 1st experience was crazy, amazing, incredible, stressful, frustrating , and such a blessing all at once and that I have learned so much about fostering and the foster care system. For all new foster parents my advice would be to make sure you have you a second and third person other then daycare that can watch your child if daycare is closed. also find a pediatrician in you local area and also a dentist if the child is 2 or older. When you are getting a placement call make sure the ID card, Medicaid, Shot records, and daycare application are included in the child's folder. It so much more but these are the most important documents that are needed. I know I have SO MUCH more to learn but i know from this first experience these documents are very important.Please continue to leave your comments and your stories and i will continue to keep you updated .
Thanks