Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone,
I posted this in the general support forum too but thought I'd also hit the California specific support forum since that's where we live.
First time foster-to-adopt dad here. We've had Baby E since she was a week old (she'll be three months old next week) and are located in Los Angeles County. Up until now, there has been no visitation by bio parents, who haven't seen her since the day she was born (both mom and Baby E tested positive for meth). Mom requested one visit in early August but canceled the day of (we later found out it was because bio dad got thrown in jail). At our first meeting with the county social worker (we are also working with an FFA) in early August she mentioned a friend of the family who had expressed interest in taking Baby E but the LiveScan pulled up a criminal record. The social worker gave her the exemption paperwork (as well as paperwork for another adult living in the home who also apparently has a criminal record). Then we didn't hear anything for over a month. The family friend did call the county worker over two weeks ago again requesting a visit. The county worker gave her our FFA social worker's number and told her to contact her to schedule a visit, but again, we heard nothing.
Last Friday the courts ruled that they were not going to offer any reunification services to the parents and a termination of parental rights hearing was scheduled for late January and the county is recommending fast track adoption. This has moved fairly fast because parents have several other kids in the system who have a termination hearing this month. Yesterday, I received word from our FFA social worker that the family friend had reached out to her to schedule a visit, so now one is scheduled for this Monday morning. As far as we know, they still have not submitted the exemption paperwork to the county.
My questions are these: Has anyone dealt with a non-blood relative making a play for a foster child? What recourse do we have, if any? We initially asked the county worker what edge this woman might have over us since she isn't blood related. She said not much except that sometimes the courts like to keep a connection to the bio family open. We have been very vocal about the fact that we want Baby E to know her biological siblings and are even open to a relationship with bio parents if and when they get clean. Should we try and initiate a visit with bio siblings to reinforce this idea even more? We are considering filing for defacto parent status at 4 months but our FFA is hesitant on filing before 6 months because you don't want to look like you are trying to disrupt the reunification process. But since reunification for mom and dad is off the table, we think 4 months might not backfire.
I guess I'm looking for reassurance, warnings and/or advice and strategies. Any help would be greatly appreciated and may help calm this very nervous, very scared dad who loves his baby girl a ton already.
Thanks for reading!
I do not know the answer to that. I'm pretty new too and termination of parent rights hasn't been brought up yet for us. We have a 1, 2, and 4 year old who haven't heard from their parents in 8 months. There are also 3 older siblings who are already in kinship care with a grandfather since June and were in foster care for 11 months prior to that. ....
I dont know what to think about a non-blood friend. Wish I could help you..
My gut feeling is that the bonding has taken place enough for this child with you guys...and since your records are clean, and you already have had her a few months, there is no logical reason to try to give her to a family friend with a record. But judges are funny and courts do weird things that make NO SENSE sometimes.
I am pulling for you and I do think you have the edge!
Last update on October 7, 9:35 pm by J Erd.
Advertisements