Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all! We have a 6 year old foster son who's been with us since last December. He repeatedly tells us and his therapist he does not want to go back to his mother and her boyfriend. My favorite has been neglected his whole life and was physically abused by moms boyfriend for the last 2 years while mom did nothing to stop it. He doesnt trust them or believe that things will be different. We are coming up on the 12 month review with the recommendation of an additional 6 months in foster care..
Do judges even take a six year olds wishes into consideration?
Thanks everyone!
Honestly, I'm not sure. The 14 yo sister of my then 15 yo foster son didn't want to be reunited with her bm but she was. I think the pendulum is swinging towards the way of family reunification. Now if bm doesn't do what she's mandated to do, that's different. But there is no way to tell.
Advertisements
It really depends on the social worker and the judge. Sometimes a judge rules with the social worker, sometimes they dont. Family reunification is always the preferred outcome...but if a family doesn't work their plan, it isn't possible! Pray a lot...give it time... I am so sorry for the emotional roller coaster you find yourself on. Just keep telling your worker every chance you get that the child keeps saying he doesn't want to go back to mom and dad.... They have to make note of all that you say in regard to the child. If you say it enough times, it should matter.
Good luck!