Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, it is has been about a year since I have been on here. I have been placed with the same relative that I had a year ago. The BM relapsed. It is in a neighboring county than the last time. It has only been 1 year since they closed the case last time. Do you know if they will be harder on her, or shorten the time she has to prove herself since this is the second time the child has been removed. I am also struggling because they put a lot of pressure on me to be a "support system" for my relative as she does not have any other clean relatives to lean on, BUT I cannot support her as she continuously lies to me and tries to manipulate me. My sole focus is on being there for the child. Everyone who knows her and the child wish she would just give legal guardianship to us, but she is too proud and stubborn to do that.
In New York, the time is continued. She would not be starting over so the time for her to get it together would be shorter. As for being a support system: ISH. Addicts only want the next hit, until they hit rock bottom and/or decide to get help. I would focus on the child. You may want to ask the cw what kind of support you're supposed to give. From experience, (not sure what her drug of choice is) letting a user in your house opens yourself up to being stolen from.
Advertisements
I told them after Christmas, the visits will need to be somewhere else and supervised by someone else. Last time she tried to manipulate us and was always breaking the rules then would get pissed when we reported it. So finally they started doing visits elsewhere. We are waiting for the Fact Finding hearing at this point in a few weeks because even thought she admitted to the CW that she did everything that was alleged in the CPS report, NOW she is denying it. SMH. The CW this time seems much more professional and less taken by her poor little thing act. I only hope they consider and include the time he was in care last time which was 19 months in our home and another 4 months before the case was closed.
Federal law says that parents rights are terminated if the child has been in care for 15 out of the last 22 months.so, theoretically, yes, her being in care previously does impact the case. Then again, we all know that guidelines aren't necessarily strictly adhered to, and the state could be either more or less lenient. Where I am, the state does not look kindly on children coming back into care that quickly, and especially with young children, they move toward TPR much more quickly. Good luck with everything, and hopefully the caseworker will fix the visitation issue quickly.
Federal law says that parents rights are terminated if the child has been in care for 15 out of the last 22 months.so, theoretically, yes, her being in care previously does impact the case. Then again, we all know that guidelines aren't necessarily strictly adhered to, and the state could be either more or less lenient. Where I am, the state does not look kindly on children coming back into care that quickly, and especially with young children, they move toward TPR much more quickly. Good luck with everything, and hopefully the caseworker will fix the visitation issue quickly.
Too true. With my niece, she was removed 3 times and each time started a new count. The third time alone was over 2.5 years before they filed for TPR. Of course, she was older.
Well they said "They don't hold past cases against them" so the freaking clock starts all over again even though he was in care LESS than a year ago and has already been in care 10 out of the last 22 months. I am soooo dang tired and pisses and sad and overwhelmed right now.
Advertisements