Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey everyone! I have posted once before when I was just getting started and now I am a foster mom! I have a 3 month old who will very likely be moving to a family placement. I am all for reuniting with a family member if possible!
I am just looking for personal advice/ support. Like I said, I 100% agree kids should be placed with family members if it's a good situation (and it looks like this is)! However I get very emotional thinking about it and even wonder how I will deal with all the emotions when she leaves! She has been such a blessing in my life!
What are your coping ideas? What advice would you give to a first time foster parent about to have their first placement leave?
Thanks!
I had a little one, who I loved dearly, go to family last year. Like you, I believed it was best for her. It still stunk.
Is the family she will go to local? If so, can you work on building a relationship with them? I was able to continue to see my FFD while she was with relatives (eventually RU with mom), and that helped. I still at least get to know how she's doing through those relatives.
The thing we did that helped most was go away for the weekend immediately after she left. We didn't even go home first. I packed both the kids in the car (I have a little one as well), dropped her off at the family's home, we all visited together for a bit, and then we left town and spent the weekend in the city. We didn't need to go as far as we did even (couple of hours); the biggest thing was not spending the night at home without her. The transition helped both me and my son, I think.
I'm happy for her, and sad for you. It's okay to be sad even when you know it's the right thing. Just be kind to yourself; it'll take a while to get through it.
Advertisements
My first placement left 2 weeks ago. I miss her like crazy, but like you, I was all for her being either reunited with her mom or being placed with family. After months or delays( gotta love ICPC), she finally got to live with her family member. She is loved and happy there and I miss her so much, but it helps to see how much she is loved and treasured. Maybe this will even motivate her mom to get it together so she can get her daughter back eventually. What I did last week was go on a cruise, lol. Kinda last minute, but so fun and I had no idea how much I needed a vacation until I left and didn't have anything to worry about. :)
I have skyped with peapot(as much as a toddler can) and now that the placement is over, I facebook friended the family member. We were advised not to do so during placement by my agency, so I didn't do it then. Now though I can see how she's doing without having to bother her family member al the time to ask about her :)
I wish I could take an immediate placement, but after she moved out, my brother and his son moved in and I can't foster until my brother finishes his adoption of his son(he's had placement for 14 months already, but little things pop up). Honestly, it is nice to have my time back ;) But I wish I were spending my time taking care of peapot.
All in all, I'm happysad now that my LO is gone. Happy that it worked out so well, but sad to miss her.
It is emotional and it is devastating. We had our first baby from birth to six months, and although I believe that it was the right decision for her to be reunited with her mother, it was hard for my husband and me. I still think about her every day. It's still so worth it though, knowing that she had a safe and secure, loving home for the three months she was with you. If only people who didn't really get attached to their foster kids decided to foster, how would that be for the kids?
I agree with previous posters, if you can build a relationship with the family so that you can stay in touch and see how she is doing that would be great. Sadly that didn't work out for us. Her mother was fine, but once she had her back basically didn't want anything to do with anything related to CPS. Ultimately it's up to them, you have no rights.
Otherwise. Plan a couple days at least where you don't have to be anywhere or do anything. Travel is personally stressful for me - the whole packing and getting ready etc, but maybe you are less anal than I am LOL. But take some time just to grieve and chill.
And I keep pictures of all my babies in my house. It helps me to see them and remember them.
Hugs to you.